Aims to conserve, promote and share the heritage of Lockington and district from pre-white settlement to present day.
- Promote awareness and the preservation of Middle Park history.
- Involve and encourage the Middle Park community to actively participate in historical research.
- Seek from the community oral histories, photographs and moving images, documents and artefacts relevant to Middle Park history.
- Encourage research by government, educational institutions and others that can illuminate Middle Park history and culture.
- Seek resources, both financially and in-kind to enhance the work of the Group.
Image: courtesy of State Library of Victoria (Rose Stereograph Co. (1920). ARMSTRONG STREET, MIDDLE PARK, VICTORIA).
Postal Address – PO Box 5276, MIDDLE PARK 3206
The Nepean Historical Society Inc. was formed in 1965 and established its Museum in the Mechanics’ Institute, Sorrento. The building (classified by the National Trust) was built of local limestone in 1876/77. A multi-purpose Heritage Gallery, including multimedia and lecture facilities, was added in 1994.
Museum and various guided tours are available.
The Society is incorporated as a non-profit organisation and is operated entirely by volunteers, many with professional expertise. There are no paid staff. Members are encouraged to take an interest in the various activities and tasks required in an active organisation. Membership is currently around 300.
Accredited museum and archives. Pioneer Dinner, Open House Day. Monthly general meetings and committee meetings.
The society was formed in 1963 as a centre for local research into the early history of the town and it’s pioneer families. From modest beginnings, the organisation has grown to a membership of more than 120, with a much wider range of interests.
In 1992 the society was able to negotiate the lease of the historic Courthouse building in Gipps Street, Port Fairy, which was renamed The History Centre.
The Courthouse is one of over fifty buildings in Port Fairy classified by the National Trust as essential to the heritage of Australia and which must be preserved. It was built in 1859, with the portico added in 1869, and a further three rooms at the rear in 1874, to make the building as it is today. At the time of construction, it was the only Courthouse in the Western District of Victoria, and housed sittings of the Supreme Court and County Courts as well as General Sessions. It remained in use until 1988, when its last function, as a Licensing Court, was transferred to Warrnambool.
Much of the work of the society involves the development of the Courthouse as a museum and archives, and includes participation in the Museum Accreditation Program with which we have been accredited since 1998. The main courtroom houses a display of the original court furniture, with figures in costume. Five other rooms contain both permanent and temporary exhibitions on themes such as the early pioneers of the district, the whaling era in Port Fairy, local shipping and wrecks along the coast.
Profile Photograph: Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives building by Peter Grenfell (2018)
In 1986 the new Rochester Historical & Pioneer Society was established after amalgamating with the already existing Pioneer Society. The original land and the building known as the Common School built in 1874 was gifted to the Historical Society by Mrs. Ross. The building was classified “C” by the National Trust in 1972.
Our Volunteers can assist you with research into District Families History and our Museum Complex of four buildings is open to the public Open 9 – 12 noon Wednesday & Friday Or by Appointment
Rochester Historical and Pioneer Society is also a recognised Place of Deposit for documents and photographs.
Trentham Historical Society works to preserve, and make available to the public, the history of the township of Trentham and the surrounding district including the settlements of Little Hampton, East Trentham, Spring Hill, Fern Hill and Tylden. The society publishes a quarterly newsletter and booklets from time to time and also holds an annual exhibition.
The Society was formed in 1972 to preserve the history of the municipality and to offer research facilities to students and members of the public.
We are committed to the collection, preservation and promotion of the history of the municipality of Glen Eira.
Our collection includes documents, photos, maps, family histories and books.
Open Tuesday and Friday 9am – 12noon
Suburbs or towns: Caulfield; Elsternwick; North Caulfield; South Caulfield; Murrumbeena; Ormond; City of Glen Eira; McKinnon; Bentleigh; Carnegie; Gardenvale; Glen Huntly
Tyntyndyer (Tyntynder in modern spelling) homestead is in the Swan Hill irrigation district, 16 km north of Swan Hill in north-west Victoria. The heritage-listed homestead was built in 1846 by Andrew & Peter Beveridge who took up the Tyntyndyer pastoral run. The pastoral run was the first European settlement in the Swan Hill district.
The Tyntyndyer Plains, stretching along the Victorian banks of the mighty Milloo (Murray River) was home to the Watti Watti people for thousands of years. Their homes were built of bark and mud, mia-mias and they farmed the land. Native grass seeds and nardoo were harvested and ground for flour, stubble was burnt and lush regrowth attracted grazing stock – kangaroos and emu. Fish nets were woven from the fibrous roots of reeds and quandong, the native fruit, was harvested and dried. reeds, for spears, and possum skins were traded for green stone, used for axes. Major Mitchell arrived at ‘Matakupa’ in 1836 and named the area Swan Hill. In 1846 the Beveridge brothers travelled from Kilmore by bullock dray and settled on 300 square miles of land. The property retained the name of these rich grass plains and became known as Tyntyndyer Station.
The construction of the homestead, of drop log cabin cabin of Murray Pine, was commenced in that year. Bricked over in 1850, with had made bricks, this has been classified as the first brick veneer in Australia. The homestead was completed in 1854 with a solid brick extension and in 1860 roof iron, brought from Glasgow, was placed over the stringy bark shingles.
The homestead, furnishings, collections and artifacts have all remained intact and now offer an excellent, authentic and fascinating insight into early colonial days.
- Wonderful inventions that remained at Tyntyndyer from the early settlers
- Cellar – filled with an amazing collection of Aboriginal artifacts and curios from indigenous cultures around the world – protected under the custodianship of the Watti Watti people
- Chock log cabin kitchen – floor to ceiling full of bric-a-brac and pioneer memorabilia (1854)
- Enter the schoolhouse and tutor room (1854) and see the assorted collections of sewing samplers, school work and early photographic equipment
- “Tyntyndyer” is the Aboriginal name of the area and means “song of the birds” and true to it’s name the quiet gardens and huge trees which shade the homestead today play host to a variety of beautiful native birds (garden established in the mid 1800s with assistance from Baron Von Mueller)
The Chaffey Trail – Trace the story with a self guided tour of key heritage sites and buildings of the region.
The Chaffey story begins with a wonderful interpretation and film about the Chaffey brothers at the centre.
You are invited to view the informative video production of the “Chaffey Trail” in the theatrette, detailing the history of irrigation in the region and the Chaffey brothers.
Open 7 days showing every half hour commencing at 9.30am with the last film screening at 4.30pm.
The contribution by people of Irish background to Ballarat’s social, cultural and industrial development is substantial and the Ballarat and District Irish Association plans to present, celebrate, promote and enjoy this ongoing legacy
The Society promotes the study, collection and preservation of the history, heritage and environment of Buninyong and the surrounding district.
Image: ‘Buninyong Town Hall, home of the Buninyong and District Historical Society’.