Whitehorse Historical Society Inc

PO Box 2092 Rangeview VIC 3132 Australia
5 Garden Avenue Mitcham Victoria 3132 AU
Contact Name
Vicki Jones-Evans
Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
PO Box 184, Malvern, VIC 3144 14.67 km

Active group, bi-monthly newsletter, extensive archives, partnership with City of Stonnington.

Contact Name
Jane Nigrp - Vice -President

A networking group for golf club historians to meet, exchange ideas and become aware of what others are doing with their history and memorabilia. The meetings target Golf Club historians but anyone interested in golf history is welcome to attend.

Contact Name
Ian Rennick, President
PO Box 58 Malvern VIC 3144 Australia 14.94 km
Contact Name
Stonnington History Centre
375 Eltham- Yarra Glen Road Kangaroo Ground Vic.3074 14.99 km

Research of over 1000 WWI, Boer War soldiers and Nurses of the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Remembrance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & suggestions for Master Plan.

Contact Name
President and Treasurer: Anna Pelling
PO Box 6172 Hawthorn West VIC 3122 Australia 15.16 km
Contact Name
Melbourne Tram Museum
historical-photo.jpg
32 Smart Street, Hawthorn VIC 3122 15.22 km

The Anglican Historical Society was founded in 1955 to preserve and publicise the history of the Anglican Church of Australia, particularly in Victoria and Melbourne, and membership is open to all who are interested in the rich history of the Anglican Church in Melbourne.

Lectures and occasional excursions are held and, at the final meeting of the year, the Annual Sydney Smith Lecture is delivered.

The Society meets monthly from February-November (except July and August), at 6.30pm on the third Wednesday of the month, at Holy Trinity, East Melbourne. New members are welcome at any meeting.

For further information, please contact the Secretary, Roger Meyer, on 9818 4950.

Contact Name
Roger Meyer
5 Hill Crest Grove, Springvale VIC 3171 15.53 km

Postal Address: PO Box 372, Noble Park VIC 3174

 

 

Contact Name
Robyn Robie
old lilydale court house.jpg
61 Castella Street, Lilydale VIC 3140, Australia 15.64 km

Founded in 1971

We aim to collect, research, promote and publish the history of the people, places, events and developments of particularly Lilydale, Coldstream, Chirnside Park, Montrose,  Seville, Silvan, Yering, Gruyere, and Killara with a special focus on the life and family Dame Nellie Melba.

Image: Old Lilydale Court House, now home to  Lilydale & District Historical Society

Contact Name
Sue Thompson, President
Greensborough Vic 3088 Australia 15.64 km
Contact Name
Noel Withers
bentleigh east VIC 3165 15.74 km
Hardy House, 49 Birmingham Road Mt Evelyn 3796 16.21 km

Mount Evelyn History Group members are interested in the collection, preservation, research,writing and publication of all aspects of history relating to our town. We hold displays at local events and provide speakers and information on request. Our newsletter, Things past, is published monthly.
We hold committee meeting on the third Monday evening of each even- numbered months, in odd-numbered months we have gueat speakers on the forth Saturday afternoon. Meetings and events are held at the RSL Hall, Hardy House, 49 Birmingham Road, Mt Evelyn, unless otherwise advised. visitors are welcome at meeting and lectures.

Contact Name
Paula Herlihy
glen eira historical society logo.jpg
965 Glen Huntly Rd, Caulfield South VIC 3162, Australia 16.44 km

The Society was formed in 1972 to preserve the history of the municipality and to offer research facilities to students and members of the public.

We are committed to the collection, preservation and promotion of the history of the municipality of Glen Eira.

Our collection includes documents, photos, maps, family histories and books.

Open Tuesday and Friday 9am – 12noon

Suburbs or towns: Caulfield; Elsternwick; North Caulfield; South Caulfield; Murrumbeena; Ormond; City of Glen Eira; McKinnon; Bentleigh; Carnegie; Gardenvale; Glen Huntly

Capture.PNG
304-306 Jasper Road, Ormond VIC, Australia 16.62 km

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society preserves the local history and heritage of the former suburbs of the City of Moorabbin. The suburbs include Ormond, McKinnon, Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Heatherton, Moorabbin, Highett and Cheltenham. The Society acts as the custodian of the Box Cottage Museum. Visitors can explore the museum and the eclectic items on display.

AJHS-Logo-Circle150x150.png
304 Hawthorn Road, Caulfield VIC, Australia 17.01 km

The Australian Jewish Historical Society is dedicated to promoting the study of Jewry in Australia from 1788. Since its founding the Society has sought to compile and make available unique and authentic records relating to the Jewish people in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands via the acquisition and preservation of historically significant documents and materials. Equally, the Society has pursued the conservation of places of Jewish interest and continues to foster the interchange of information through lectures, discussions and exhibitions of historical interest or value

Cottage photo (new)_crop_enhanced.jpg
10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek 3089 17.08 km

The Society operates an historic cottage erected in 1865. It holds a large collection of historic photographs, and features information on local gold mines.

Contact Name
Jean Verso - President
415 Church Street, Richmond 3121 17.57 km

Collecting, preserving information and materials about the history of Richmond and Burnley. Conducting research, walks and talks to promote understanding of our heritage.

Contact Name
David Langdon, President
IMG_9784.PNG
PO Box 304 Clifton Hill Vic 3068 18.13 km

The Collingwood Historical Society has as its area of interest the former City of Collingwood, that is, the suburbs now known as Abbotsford, Clifton Hill, and Collingwood in Victoria, Australia.

Collingwood Historical Society had its beginnings in the 1970s as a local interest group in the former City of Collingwood. The Society:

  • Promotes public awareness of our local history.
  • Promotes the conservation of Collingwood’s heritage places.
  • Organises events such as talks, displays and history walks.
  • Collects historical material relating to Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford.
  • Records history in the form of photos, oral history tapes, publications, and electronic resources.
Contact Name
Anne Holmes, Secretary
Capture.JPG
39 Clow Street, Dandenong Victoria 3175, Australia 18.17 km

Our mission is to collect, document, research, preserve and make available to the wider community for their enjoyment and education items that show the development of Dandenong and District from early settlement to present day.

former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 18.2 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
PO Box 139, Dingley village VIC 18.34 km

A small group of residents committed to researching the history of Dingley Village. Aims to collect documents, photographs etc. We have currently received funding to amploy an author to write the history of Dingley.

Contact Name
Marion Harriden, President
Showing 41 - 60 of 205 results