Open Tues & Fri 10am – 3pm
Postal Address – PO Box 6007 Wantirna Mall VIC 3152
Founded in 1996 as the Victorian Jazz Archive (VJA), the Australian Jazz Museum (AJM) came about from the strongly voiced desire to preserve Australia’s jazz heritage, and for it to be readily accessible to musicians, collectors, donors and others throughout Australia.
In 2003 VJA was accredited as a Museum by Museums Australia (Victoria). In 2014 the VJA changed its name to Australian Jazz Museum – to reflect the Museum’s Australia-wide mission, collection and membership.
The Association was formed in 1986.
Our objectives are:
- To promote and foster goodwill among Cornish people and people in Victoria
- To stimulate interest in the History, Family History, Antiquities, Traditions and Social Conditions of Cornwall
- To aid approved Cultural Movements in and associated with Cornwall
- To endeavour to arrange contact between relatives and friends of Cornish people both in Victoria and Cornwall and with other Cornish Associations.
- To further awareness in the Victorian community of the importance of the Cornish emigration in the development of Australia.
- To assist and to encourage in conjunction with State Organizations, Local Government and the National Trust, the restoration and maintenance of buildings/areas of importance to the Cornish Heritage in Australia.
- To be a non-political, non-sectarian, cultural organization.
The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, research and disseminate information relating to the history of Ringwood and its environs. Monthly meetings with speakers, local books, photographic displays.
Formed in 1963, the Society holds local history materials including photographs, newspapers, books, journals, manuscripts, maps, oral and family histories. It holds monthly meetings with speakers, and conducts a variety of tours including that of Box Hill Cemetery. Information on tours can be found on the Box Hill Historical Society website.
Suburbs or towns: Box Hill; Bennetswood; Burwood; Mont Albert; Surrey Hills
Catalogue records online:
Naval history. Meetings, Navy Week activities, projects at the Shrine, plaques at seclected sites.
CHAPTER MEETINGS ARE HELD ON THE FOURTH MONDAY OF THE MONTH AT THE WAVERLEY RSL
The Waverley RSL is located at 161 Coleman Parade, Glen Waverley, and is conveniently situated opposite the Glen Waverley railway station. The RSL car park is free but you need to display a ticket on your dashboard (obtainable from reception) or use the public car park opposite.
President: Andrew Mackinnon
The museum is located at Factory 1 / 55 Barry Street, Bayswater. It is open for individual, group or club visits by appointment. Vehicles, memorabilia and retired ambulance personnel are also available for public and corporate events and displays.
The Light Railway Research Socierty of Australia Inc encourages interest in, and research into, specialised railways, both past and present, and the industries they served. These railways have been associated with a large range of industries, including sugar production, timber milling, construction, mining, electricity generation, tourism, water supply, gas production and explosives manufacture. Members interests include archaeology, social history, preservation, mapping, bush walking and photography. The society is a leading publisher of books on sawmilling history.
The aim of the Balwyn Historical Society is to facilitate and promote an interest in the history of Balwyn and nearby areas. Its objectives are to:
- Organise speakers on historical subjects and related community interests
- Publish a regular newsletter
- Encourage historical research
- Collect and organise documents and photographs and make them available for research
- Display historical photographs and documents
- Conduct events and excursions to places of historical interest
- Exchange information and work with other historical societies
Suburbs or towns: Balwyn; Balwyn North; Deepdene; Greythorn