The Woodend and District Heritage Society operates a local and family history resource centre. The collection is fully indexed and relates to the Old Shire of Newham & Woodend, Ashbourne, Hesket, early Rochford, part Macedon, part Carlsruhe.
Built in 1870, the court house in Forest St was the second court building in Woodend.
It was used for criminal cases until 1964 and for coroner’s court hearings until the 1970s. Now it’s home to the Woodend & District Heritage Society.
You can find us at Woodend’s old court house every Wednesday, from February to November (10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm).
The Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee is incorporated in Victoria.
Adam Lindsay Gordon 1833-1870 was Australia’s first poet of note who set up the foundations for literature in Australia
Our Patron is Janice Bate.
We are an online society and do not have a building for our records which are in a private home.
Image: by Andrew Lutz. The piper is John Houghton from The City of Melbourne Highland Pipe Band.
Alexandra Historical Society was established in 1997 to document and preserve local heritage, and incorporated in 2001. Originally named Murrindindi Historic Register, the name was changed in 2010 to more accurately reflect the society’s objectives.
Collecting and storing archives.
Maintenance of historic “Dove Cottage” at 6 Paynes Ave Alexandra
The Altona Historical Society was formed in 1961, incorporated in 1996 and in 2000 amalgamated with the Laverton Historical Society to form the Altona-Laverton Historical Society Inc.
Its aim is to encourage the study of the history of Altona and Laverton area through the acquisition of relevant objects, photographs, information and archive material, making these available to members and the community for their research.
The society also hosts a number of events at the Altona homestead and in the park including ghost tours organised by Lantern Ghost Tours and visits by many clubs and schools. Information about these events can be found by visiting the Altona-Laverton Historical Society website.
The Andrew Ross Museum was officially opened in March 1993 and through the hard work and dedication of its volunteers is now fully accredited with Museums Australia.
The Museum’s namesake, Andrew Ross, was the first schoolmaster in the district as well as a keen recorder of contemporary life and he left a remarkable written legacy to the Kangaroo Ground community. Our exhibitions explore the life and times of Andrew Ross and also Kangaroo Ground, the land and its people from pre-European time to the present.
We maintain collections that include the old schoolhouse building that the museum is house in, artefacts of local significance, a photographic collection and an extensive archive of documents relating to the district. Publications relating to local history are also available.
The Museum is open Sundays from 2-4pm and Thursdays 10am-12pm during school term or by private appointment. There is no admission fee although donations are gratefully received.
General meetings held on 1st Sunday of the month, usually with guest speakers. Visitors welcome. Extensive photographic collection of early Anglesea and Great Ocean Road. Society publications on a variety of subjects are for sale.
Apollo Bay and District Historical Society operates the Old Cable Station Museum at 6250 Great Ocean Road, Apollo Bay, photograph collection and family history collection.
Opening hours: Saturday, Sunday, public and school holidays, 2-5 pm. Or by appointment.
Meetings of the Apollo Bay & District Historical Society are held at the Museum 3rd Monday of the month 10am.
Profile photo is of the Apollo Bay Museum, located in the old Telegraph Cable Station, Apollo Bay.
The Arapiles Historical Society (AHS) is volunteer run and community supported. Based in the town of Natimuk, AHS have three sites – the Court House, former Natimuk Garage and the former Natimuk Masonic Hall.
We record and preserve items and documents, family histories, locally made machinery.
Image: Former court house in Natimuk, now a museum in the Arapiles Historical Society precinct.
The society is interested in local history which is on display in Langi Morgala Museum which includes mining, railways, church, council business, home life, sport, armed services, transport and agriculture.
Promote and gather information on the SS Great Britain and her passengers.
Established in 1945, The Australian Railway Historical Society Victorian Division Inc. has a proud history of over 70 years of catering for all who have an interest in the railway history of Victoria. It has a growing membership of over 500 members throughout Australia and overseas. The Society recorginises that recording the continuing development and evolution of rail transport in our state is as much a part of its future history as events that occurred in the past 178 years.