Postal Address – C/o Post Office, Yarra Glen, VIC 3775
The History Group is a group formed within the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre in 2020.
It was formerly the Yarra Glen & District Historical Society Incorporated which existed independently from 1973 until 2019.
The History Group is located at the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre, 12-14 Anzac Avenue, Yarra Glen.
We meet informally at the Centre on Tuesday afternoons during school terms between 2 and 4pm. Anyone is welcome to come along on a regular or irregular basis. A $2 coin will be gratefully received for tea/coffee.
Special functions with guest speakers or mediated discussion groups will be conducted from time to time. These will be advertised in the Term Program published quarterly by the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre. Those attending these functions will be required to pay the annual membership fee of the Living & Learning Centre and a fee may also be charged for the function itself. Details will be in the Program.
Photos, maps, documents, information, all aspects of life in the gold fields and farming areas surrounding Cape Clear & District Historical Society.
The Castlemaine Historical Society was formed in 1965 to study, record and promote the historical heritage of Castlemaine and District. It operated for many years from temporary premises in various locations. In 1996 the Society was granted a lease to its present home in the historic Former Court House.
Meetings (with interesting guest speakers), exhibitions, a monthly newsletter, guided tours, the development, cataloguing and maintenance of an historic archive collection, indexing of records and the provision of a research service are the major activities of the members.
Archives held by the Society include early directories, voters lists, local newspaper index and some records and indexes concerning mining leases, rates, schools, churches and cemeteries.
Postal Address – PO Box 655, Castlemaine 3450
The Castlemaine Pioneers & Old Residents’ Association (P&ORA) held its first meeting on 17 March 1880 following some informal meetings amongst like-minded gentlemen who were keen to form an organisation to support one another in times of need and to enhance the society they lived in.
One of the early rules states ‘that the organisation will collect, store, preserve and promote the area’s local history.
The P&ORA is not a Historical Society as such, but we do own a lot of historical ‘stuff’ as past members were reluctant to throw anything out.
Opening Hours – Every Wednesday between 10am-3pm
Central Highlands Historical Association [CHHA] is a vital link in the regional history network being the umbrella association for over 30 historical societies, museums and family history organisations in the central highlands region of Victoria. CHHA continues to be an active and innovative organisation. It is represented at Local and State levels on matters of joint concern to its members.
The Chaffey Trail – Trace the story with a self guided tour of key heritage sites and buildings of the region.
The Chaffey story begins with a wonderful interpretation and film about the Chaffey brothers at the centre.
You are invited to view the informative video production of the “Chaffey Trail” in the theatrette, detailing the history of irrigation in the region and the Chaffey brothers.
Open 7 days showing every half hour commencing at 9.30am with the last film screening at 4.30pm.
Established in 1973, we collect, preserve and share information, photos and items relevant to Charlton & the surrounding district.
Located in the former Mechanics Institute building (1882), the Charlton Golden Grains Museum showcases a diverse collection of over 3000 artefacts and photographs from Charlton’s early pioneer days through to today.
The Chelsea Historical Society Court House Museum is the corner stone of continued research, collection, preservation and dissemination of the history of the former City of Chelsea and adjoining districts. It is an enjoyable Museum for the local community and visitors with particular emphasis on the pictorial history of the area through varied displays.
The present brick building was erected in 1866, replacing an earlier timber construction, and used as Council Chambers, Town Hall and Library/Reading Rooms. When the Library was relocated in 1970 many old books remained in the present building forming an interesting collection of Goldfields reading matter in the original setting. About this time the Chiltern Athenaeum Museum was formed by enthusiastic members of the public who operate the museum on a volunteer basis.
The Cinema and Theatre Historical Society of Australia Inc. was formed in Melbourne, Australia in 1989
The Society’s aims are –
• To foster an interest in the architecture, history and heritage of cinemas and theatres in Australia.
• Record the history of cinemas and theatres in the form of books, magazines and audiovisual materials.
• To maintain an archive collection of cinema related documents, photos, etc.
• Provide public access to the collection for the purpose of cinema research and related matters.
• Seek to preserve theatre and cinema buildings and artefacts.
• Organise events to facilitate inspections for documenting and photographing of cinema venues.
• Conduct regular meetings for members.
The City of Moorabbin Historical Society preserves the local history and heritage of the former suburbs of the City of Moorabbin. The suburbs include Ormond, McKinnon, Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Heatherton, Moorabbin, Highett and Cheltenham. The Society acts as the custodian of the Box Cottage Museum. Visitors can explore the museum and the eclectic items on display.
The City of South Perth Historical Society was established in 1989 to stimulate public interest in the history of the district of South Perth, to encourage historical research and publication, and to promote the designation and preservation of historic sites, buildings and stories.
The Society is incorporated.
Please note: private research of our archives is not possible
The Museum is housed in the former Warehouse (c.1860) of contractors Nichol and Wallace.
The redeveloped Nichol and Wallace building, now known as The Warehouse, to reflect it’s 19th century history, reopened in 2014 as a Hub housing the Museum, the Library, the Visitor information Centre, the Hepburn Shire Service Centre as well as event and meeting spaces.
The Italian Historical Society was established in 1980 to document, preserve and promote the history of Italian migration and settlement in Australia.
Through the ongoing generous support of the Italian community and the Society’s collecting, research and interpretation activities the Society has developed an extensive collection of significant material which includes: A wide range of images, oral histories, ephemera, documents and objects which relate to all aspects of the Italian migration and settlement story.
Our organisation’s aim or purpose is collecting and preserving items of local history, including schools, dairy and sheep industries, war memorabilia, etc. We call it “preserving the old and present for the future.” We were established in 1985 at the request of many locals and were helped in this by Heytesbury and Camperdown societies.