Yarra Glen & District History Group

Capture.PNG
YARRA GLEN VIC 3775 Australia
20 Bell Street Yarra Glen Victoria 3775 AU

Postal Address – C/o Post Office, Yarra Glen, VIC 3775

The History Group is a group formed within the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre in 2020.

It was formerly the Yarra Glen & District Historical Society Incorporated which existed independently from 1973 until 2019.

The History Group is located at the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre, 12-14 Anzac Avenue, Yarra Glen.

We meet informally at the Centre on Tuesday afternoons during school terms between 2 and 4pm. Anyone is welcome to come along on a regular or irregular basis. A $2 coin will be gratefully received for tea/coffee.

Special functions with guest speakers or mediated discussion groups will be conducted from time to time. These will be advertised in the Term Program published quarterly by the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre. Those attending these functions will be required to pay the annual membership fee of the Living & Learning Centre and a fee may also be charged for the function itself. Details will be in the Program.

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
DJI_0206-672x522.jpg
1029 Melba Highway. Yarra Glen, Vic 3775 1.5 km

Established in the 1850s, Gulf Station was farmed for nearly 100 years by the Bell family.

Scottish settlers Agnes and William Bell were the first to lease the land where the property was established. From the 1850s to the 1950s, Gulf Station supplied produce to gold miners of the district. The National Trust acquired stewardship of the property in 1976 and restored its buildings and cottage garden.

Gulf Station hosts regular events and activities including Heritage Festivals, Talks, Workshops and Lost Tradition Days where you can see working horses, sheep being sheared, butter being made in traditional churns and wood being worked without using power tools.

Contact Name
Irene Kearsay
PO Box 229 Coldstream VIC 3770 Australia 8.4 km
Contact Name
Descendants of Convicts Group Victoria
old lilydale court house.jpg
61 Castella Street, Lilydale VIC 3140, Australia 10.73 km

Founded in 1971

We aim to collect, research, promote and publish the history of the people, places, events and developments of particularly Lilydale, Coldstream, Chirnside Park, Montrose,  Seville, Silvan, Yering, Gruyere, and Killara with a special focus on the life and family Dame Nellie Melba.

Image: Old Lilydale Court House, now home to  Lilydale & District Historical Society

Contact Name
Sue Thompson, President
PO Box 9 St Andrews VIC 3761 Australia 11.09 km
Contact Name
Gaye Ponting
nicholson street healesville 1930s historical society.jpg
110 River Street, Healesville VIC 3777, Australia 12.56 km

The Society’s rooms are located in the Healesville Community Link (at the rear of the Memorial Hall), 110 River Street, Healesville. This is the same building as the library; please ask the library staff for directions once entering the building.

The purpose of the Healesville and District Historical Society Inc (founded in 1984) is to encourage and facilitate the study of the history of Healesville and district and to research, conserve, interpret and exhibit material which illustrates this history and to answer queries from the public relating to Healesville history. To this end the society shall acquire, research, conserve, interpret and exhibit material which illustrates this history.

*Image: Nicholson Street Healesville looking east in the late 1930s

Contact Name
Elizabeth Church, Secretary
375 Eltham- Yarra Glen Road Kangaroo Ground Vic.3074 13.79 km

Research of over 1000 ww1, boer war soldiers and Nursesof the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Rememberance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & surgestions for Master Plan.

Contact Name
Dennis Ward- President
Hardy House, 49 Birmingham Road Mt Evelyn 3796 13.88 km

Mount Evelyn History Group members are interested in the collection, preservation, research,writing and publication of all aspects of history relating to our town. We hold displays at local events and provide speakers and information on request. Our newsletter, Things past, is published monthly.
We hold committee meeting on the third Monday evening of each even- numbered months, in odd-numbered months we have gueat speakers on the forth Saturday afternoon. Meetings and events are held at the RSL Hall, Hardy House, 49 Birmingham Road, Mt Evelyn, unless otherwise advised. visitors are welcome at meeting and lectures.

Contact Name
Paula Herlihy
PO Box 35 Wandin North VIC 3139 Australia 14.05 km
Contact Name
Mary Tabacchiera
Shop 2, The Terrace, Brice Avenue, Mooroolbark, Vic. 3138 15.15 km

Established to produce a book re 30 years of Festivals hold regular meetings, we house a Display at Shop 2, The Terrace, Mooroolbark.

Contact Name
Marion Stott, President
mont de lancey.jpg
71 Wellington Road, Wandin North VIC, Australia 15.18 km

Set in rolling orchard countryside, Mont De Lancye was built in 1882 as the home of the Sebire family. Mont De Lancey’s many attractions include Chapel/Gardens suitable for weddings; Museum; Monty’s Tearoom & much more.

Monty’s Tearoom: 0403 415 194

Contact Name
Jill Sebire

The Kinglake Historical Society works to collect and preserve the information and memorabilia related to the history of the district.

Contact Name
Diedre Hawkins
PO BOX 67 WARRANDYTE VIC 3113 Australia 16 km
Contact Name
WARRANDYTE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Capture.PNG
Main Road, Kangaroo Ground VIC, Australia 16.57 km

Opening Times
Thursdays 10am-12noon
Sundays by appointment only

The Andrew Ross Museum was officially opened in March 1993 and through the hard work and dedication of its volunteers is now fully accredited with Museums Australia.

The Museum’s namesake, Andrew Ross, was the first schoolmaster in the district as well as a keen recorder of contemporary life and he left a remarkable written legacy to the Kangaroo Ground community. Our exhibitions explore the life and times of Andrew Ross and also Kangaroo Ground, the land and its people from pre-European time to the present.

We maintain collections that include the old schoolhouse building that the museum is house in, artefacts of local significance, a photographic collection and an extensive archive of documents relating to the district. Publications relating to local history are also available.

 

Cottage photo (new)_crop_enhanced.jpg
10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek 3089 17.63 km

The Society operates an historic cottage erected in 1865. It holds a large collection of historic photographs, and features information on local gold mines.

Contact Name
Jean Verso - President
Croydon Library Complex, 5 Civic Square, Croydon 17.75 km
Contact Name
Les Hutchinson, President
11 Ripley Court, Ringwood 3135 18.48 km

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, research and disseminate information relating to the history of Ringwood and its environs. Monthly meetings with speakers, local books, photographic displays.

Contact Name
Russ Haines, President
Farndons Community Hall, Cnr Farndon & 42 Falls Rd, Mt Dandenong 3767 18.99 km

Interested in research and collection of local historical photographs, recollections, etc. With new premises, aiming for increased school and community participation.

Contact Name
Wendy Britt - Secretary
eltham.jpg
728 Main Road, Eltham, 3095 21.36 km

The society operates the Local History Centre at the 1860 police residence at 728 Main Road, Eltham. Open by appointment.

Contact Name
Russell Yeoman, Secretary
yarrambat historical society.jpg
722 Yan Yean Rd, Yarrambat VIC 3091, Australia 21.44 km

The Yarrambat Historical Society Inc was formed in 1990 with the mission “To preserve and perpetuate the history of the area and to promote and encourage social interchange between people of all ages who share and interest in our cultural heritage”

The Yarrambat Heritage Museum is by far the largest project undertaken by the Society. The Society took over the site in early 2001 and over the ensuing years has developed the site into an operational Heritage Museum. A grant from the Victorian State Government enabled the relocation of the original 1878 Primary School classroom to the site in 2002.

Contact Name
Brendon Smith, Secretary
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 22.22 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
Showing 1 - 20 of 181 results