Yea & District Historical Society

C/o 4607 Whittlesea-Yea Road Yea Vic 3717 Australia
4607 Whittlesea-Yea Road Yea Victoria 3717 AU
Contact Name
Yea & District Historical Society
Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed

The Kinglake Historical Society works to collect and preserve the information and memorabilia related to the history of the district.

Contact Name
Diedre Hawkins

​The Broadford and District Historical Society covers the districts of Broadford, Strath Creek, Reedy Creek, Tyaak, Sunday Creek, Glenaroua, Flowerdale, Glenburnie, Dry Creek, Sugarloaf Creek, Clonbinane and Tallarook.

The Society was formed in 1968 with the aim of fostering historical interests and knowledge of this district, but exclusively of this district. We protect local historic buildings and collect and preserve items and records of historic interest. We run a small museum and conduct genealogical research.

44 AFFLECK STREET WANDONG VIC 3758 Australia 30.68 km
Contact Name
Karen Christensen
alexandra historical society.jpg
6 Paynes Ave, Alexandra VIC 3714, Australia 32.29 km

Alexandra Historical Society was established in 1997 to document and preserve local heritage, and incorporated in 2001. Originally named Murrindindi Historic Register, the name was changed in 2010 to more accurately reflect the society’s objectives.

Collecting and storing archives.
Maintenance of historic “Dove Cottage” at 6 Paynes Ave Alexandra

Capture.PNG

About the Society

The Whittlesea Historical Society meets on the third Sunday of each month at 2 pm (except January), visitors are most welcome to attend.We meet in the Activity Centre, Laurel St, Whittlesea.

Some of our aims include:

  • Petition on behalf of local historic sites, buildings, trees, etc to Council or government,
  • Undertake and promote the research of our history,
  • Collect, conserve, compile and make available historic records,
  • Establish and maintain a library and archives of that information,
  • Disseminate knowledge of our history through lectures, publications, exhibitions, excursions and other means,
  • Provide a means for people interested in the area’s history to meet, discuss and participate.
PO Box 9 St Andrews VIC 3761 Australia 33.25 km
Contact Name
Gaye Ponting
655 Spring Road Fawcett Vic 3714 36.13 km

Community Hall – Communities of Fawcett and Konriella

Contact Name
S Hicks- President
885364_478055068908287_662082069_o.jpg
Wallan VIC, Australia 36.64 km

The Military History Group Inc. is based in Victoria, Australia, and is an organisation dedicated to the restoration and preservation of military vehicles and their heritage.

The MHG Inc. attends various military vehicle displays throughout Victoria and NSW. Vehicles from WW2, Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam and current conflicts are represented.

 

 

PO Box 184 Seymour Vic 3660 Australia 36.87 km
Contact Name
Secretary: Christine Brown
kilmore historical society logo.jpg
Old Kilmore Post Office, 2 Powlett Street, Kilmore Vic 3764 37.33 km

Kilmore Historical Society’s Research Centre is located in the Kilmore Court House. The collection has an extensive biographical and photographic register of information, including resources on local schools, railways and buildings.

[caption id="attachment_2494" align="alignnone" width="792"]Street scene Post Office, Courthouse and Police Barracks[/caption]
Contact Name
Barbara Wilson, Secratary
C/- 127 Roulston Way Wallan VIC 3756 Australia 38.09 km
Contact Name
Woodlands Heritage Interpretation Inc
DJI_0206-672x522.jpg
1029 Melba Highway. Yarra Glen, Vic 3775 38.61 km

Established in the 1850s, Gulf Station was farmed for nearly 100 years by the Bell family.

Scottish settlers Agnes and William Bell were the first to lease the land where the property was established. From the 1850s to the 1950s, Gulf Station supplied produce to gold miners of the district. The National Trust acquired stewardship of the property in 1976 and restored its buildings and cottage garden.

Gulf Station hosts regular events and activities including Heritage Festivals, Talks, Workshops and Lost Tradition Days where you can see working horses, sheep being sheared, butter being made in traditional churns and wood being worked without using power tools.

Contact Name
Irene Kearsay
Capture.PNG

Postal Address – C/o Post Office, Yarra Glen, VIC 3775

The History Group is a group formed within the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre in 2020.

It was formerly the Yarra Glen & District Historical Society Incorporated which existed independently from 1973 until 2019.

The History Group is located at the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre, 12-14 Anzac Avenue, Yarra Glen.

We meet informally at the Centre on Tuesday afternoons during school terms between 2 and 4pm. Anyone is welcome to come along on a regular or irregular basis. A $2 coin will be gratefully received for tea/coffee.

Special functions with guest speakers or mediated discussion groups will be conducted from time to time. These will be advertised in the Term Program published quarterly by the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre. Those attending these functions will be required to pay the annual membership fee of the Living & Learning Centre and a fee may also be charged for the function itself. Details will be in the Program.

marysville and district historical society.jpg
39 Darwin St, Marysville VIC 3779, Australia 40.18 km

Founded in 1969, the Society’s History Centre provides both visitors and researchers the opportunity to learn about the rich history of Marysville and its surrounds.
The Society’s Museum houses a unique collection of items based around 4 main themes, which are: Pioneers, Timber, Tourism and the RSL. The Museum ONLY contains items that have a connection to the Marysville Triangle region, which includes Narbethong, Buxton Taggerty, Lake Mountain and Cambarville.

Collection contains many records of Marysville area including timber industry, old saw mills, guest houses present and past, photographs, cemetery records and general memorabilia.

Take some time to browse through the many displays highlighting over 150 years of Marysville and Districts rich history. Entry is $5 per person.

Contact Name
Rene Dekoning
nicholson street healesville 1930s historical society.jpg
110 River Street, Healesville VIC 3777, Australia 41.06 km

The Society’s rooms are located in the Healesville Community Link (at the rear of the Memorial Hall), 110 River Street, Healesville. This is the same building as the library; please ask the library staff for directions once entering the building.

The purpose of the Healesville and District Historical Society Inc (founded in 1984) is to encourage and facilitate the study of the history of Healesville and district and to research, conserve, interpret and exhibit material which illustrates this history and to answer queries from the public relating to Healesville history. To this end the society shall acquire, research, conserve, interpret and exhibit material which illustrates this history.

*Image: Nicholson Street Healesville looking east in the late 1930s

Contact Name
Elizabeth Church, Secretary
yarrambat historical society.jpg
722 Yan Yean Rd, Yarrambat VIC 3091, Australia 41.66 km

The Yarrambat Historical Society Inc was formed in 1990 with the mission “To preserve and perpetuate the history of the area and to promote and encourage social interchange between people of all ages who share and interest in our cultural heritage”

The Yarrambat Heritage Museum is by far the largest project undertaken by the Society. The Society took over the site in early 2001 and over the ensuing years has developed the site into an operational Heritage Museum. A grant from the Victorian State Government enabled the relocation of the original 1878 Primary School classroom to the site in 2002.

Contact Name
Brendon Smith, Secretary
Cottage photo (new)_crop_enhanced.jpg
10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek 3089 44.44 km

The Society operates an historic cottage erected in 1865. It holds a large collection of historic photographs, and features information on local gold mines.

Contact Name
Jean Verso - President
375 Eltham- Yarra Glen Road Kangaroo Ground Vic.3074 44.99 km

Research of over 1000 WWI, Boer War soldiers and Nurses of the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Remembrance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & suggestions for Master Plan.

Contact Name
President and Treasurer: Anna Pelling
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 46.46 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
Queen Street, Avenel VIC 3664, Australia 46.85 km
03 5796 204303 5796 2043
Showing 1 - 20 of 164 results