- This event has passed.
Heritage Excursion – Along The Maroondah Aqueduct
May 7 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Eltham District Historical Society is organising a wonderful walk …
The Maroondah Aqueduct was once a major link in Melbourne’s water supply system. It was built between 1886 and 1891 to transfer water from the Watts River near Healesville to Preston Reservoir. It was 66 km in length made up of 41 km of open channel, 10 km of tunnels through hills and 15 km of pipeline across stream valleys known as inverted siphons. The section of the aqueduct through Research and Eltham has been abandoned since the 1980s but the open channel has largely been retained. A recreational path follows the aqueduct reserve.
The walk starts where the aqueduct crosses Ingrams Road Research, near the corner of The Esplanade (Melway ref 12 G12).
The intention is to walk along the aqueduct path as far as Parsons Road and return, a distance of about 4 km. This distance can be shortened on the day depending on the weather. This free walk is open to the public as well as Society members. Dogs are not permitted on Society excursions.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The phone number for contact on the day is 0409 021 063.