William Jackson Thomas (5/12/1820-1909, Balwyn), married Sarah Truckle Dredge (19/6/1827-1915, Balwyn), youngest daughter of late Assistant Protector James Dredge, 27/6/1848. In London he was ‘apprenticed to an engraver and understands the business’ (Cannon 1982: 34); London authorities considered he ‘would accompany his father [to Port Phillip] and make himself useful’ (Cannon 1982: 34); he was actively involved in assisting his father, William Thomas, run the various stations in the Western Port District of the Port Phillip Aboriginal Protectorate. Thomas Jnr. assisted his father by running errands to Melbourne, often to Robinson, and later by taking care of the Assistant Protector’s Quarters at Arthur’s Seat in his father’s absence. Initially, he held a run ‘Tuerong’, 12,000 acres near his father’s quarters, between the creeks of Tubberubabel and Tuerong, east of Mt. Martha, from 1840 until September 1842. Fels (2011: 46) has identified this as the place known today as ‘Tuerong Park’, on the Old Moorooduc Road near Balnarring Road. By May 1843, Thomas Jnr was resident at ‘Strangeway’s Farm’, on the Merri Creek, 1,860 acres near Merriang. During his tenure at ‘Strangeway’s Farm’, he would assist his father by housing Aboriginal people, including Warree in 1843. They had ten children.
This publication collates his reminiscences of his experiences in colonial Victoria, including much information on the Woiwurrung and Boonwurrung Aboriginal peoples of Melbourne and Westernport Bay.
Paperback, 90pp, 2021
Book Reviews Reviews
There are no reviews yet.