Get in Touch
Check the FAQ’s to see if your query has been answered.
RHSV Address: 239 A’Beckett Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000.
Phone: 03 9326 9288
Opening times Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Send a Message
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there parking nearby?
There are a number of on-street car spaces and off-street car parks within walking distance of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria. The closest off-street car park is in A’Beckett St between Wills and Queen Sts.
The closest designated on-street parking for people with disabilities is a car space located in Wills Street (one-way). Entry to this car space is via La Trobe Street.
For a detailed list of on-street and off-street car parking locations and fees please refer to the City of Melbourne website.
Is public transport nearby?
The closest train station is Flagstaff Gardens (city loop).
The West Coburg – Toorak tram runs along William St (no 55) and the closest stop is No. 7 (cnr William and La Trobe Sts). The free city circle tram (No 35) and the St Vincents Plaza – Docklands tram (No 30) both run along La Trobe St. – get off on the corner of William and La Trobe Streets.
There is a multitude of buses which stop in A’Beckett St, right outside our building:
220 Sunshine to Gardenvale
232 Altona North to City (QVM)
234/6 Garden City to City (QVM)
237 City to Fisherman’s Bend via Lorimer St
546 Heidelberg Station to Melb Uni via QVM, Carlton & Clifton Hill (stops in Franklin St)
Do exhibitions run all year round?
We hold several exhibitions per year; these include mini exhibitions in our ‘Cabinet of Curiosities‘, and a main exhibition in the large gallery space. There are short periods when exhibitions are being changed over, and thus exhibitions are not available.
Please check our current exhibition dates before arriving to avoid disappointment.
Is there an entry charge to view exhibitions?
We do not charge to view our exhibitions, and we welcome both members and non-members. We do however, appreciate a gold coin donation, or more, if you have enjoyed it.
Donations received go to supporting future exhibitions and the running of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
Do you offer printing and photocopying?
Yes, we do offer printing and photocopying services at the RHSV for personal research purposes.
If you would like to use any documents for publication or display purposes, permission must be sought from the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
Charges apply: A4 (Black and White): 30 cents A3 (Black and white): 50 cents A4 (Colour): 60 cents A3 (Colour): $1.20 Photocopies
What to bring?
In order to preserve our material, only certain items may be taken into the library.
• Pencils • Notebooks [A4 or smaller] • Mobile phones [switched to silent] • Wallets and purses • Laptops or tablets (excluding carry case) • Digital cameras
We provide free lockers to store your other items, including bags and backpacks.
Is Wifi available?
Free wifi is available within the RHSV. Please ask at the administration desk for the password.
I want to do some research or view images, artworks, or objects, do I need an appointment?
If you want to visit and make use of any of the collections, please contact us to make an appointment. This will ensure that you use your time productively as we can confirm whether we have the material you need.
Can I take photos and/or video in the RHSV?
Photographs and video are allowed. However, we do not allow flash photography without permission.
I’m not a member, can I use your resources?
Yes, we welcome non-members. A charge of $16.50 [inc GST] per day applies to non-members for use of the collection.
Are there places to eat near by?
Yes! There are many places to eat near by. Listed below are a few of our favorites;
- Radisson on Flagstaff Hotel, HQs on William is their ground floor restaurant
- Address: Cnr A’Beckett & William St. (directly opposite RHSV – maybe 100m).
- Website: https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us/hotels/radisson-melbourne-flagstaff-gardens/restaurant-bar/hqs-on-william
- Phone: 9322-8177.
- Can download a menu and has all the contact details. This is more substantial than a café.
- The Jazz Corner Café at the Jazz Hotel
- The Mint
- Address: Cnr La Trobe and William St in the gatehouse of The Old Mint. (130m around the corner and across the road from the entrance of RHSV)
- Website: https://www.com.au
- Phone: (03) 9602 5622
- Email: email@example.com
- Outside casual beer garden or quieter inside
- The menu can be viewed on their website
- Le Will
- Address: 305 William Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 (230m from RHSV, across from Flagstaff Gardens next to train station entrance)
- Website: https://www.lewillmelbourne.com/
- Phone: (03)96704895
- Lots of smaller tables
- Address: Cnr La Trobe and Wills St – 414 La Trobe St (200m from RHSV down Wills St,)
- Website: https://www.cafenatics.com.au/
- Phone: 03 9642 4684
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indoor seating – they have one big table and lots of small tables.
- Operator 25
- Address: 25 Wills St, Melbourne VIC 3000 (150m from RHSV)
- Website: operator25.com.au
- Phone: (03) 9670 3278
- Indoor and outdoor seating