Formed in 1909, we are the centre of Victoria’s history movement, with nearly 1,000 individuals and 350 local historical societies as members. We are the peak body for those local historical societies and heritage groups.
Who can become a member?
Membership of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria is open to all. Anyone with an interest in history including professional historians, passionate history-loving individuals, academics, students, libraries, schools, universities, corporations and local municipalities is welcome to join.
Members of the RHSV enjoy
- Free use of the Society’s comprehensive Library and valuable collections – rare books, manuscripts, maps, photographs, newspapers, directories, indexes, registers and other items.
- Advice with personal research from our Library and research staff.
- A subscription to History News.
- A subscription to the Victorian Historical Journal.
- Substantial discounted admission to all our events: lectures, talks, tours, guided walking tours, seminars, workshops and conferences.
- Free admission to RHSV exhibitions.
- Member only events – many of our smaller events are for members’ only. These include our History Writers’ Group, tours of significant buildings and regional tours.
- Discounted room hire and image purchase.
- Professional links with over 300 historical and specialist societies.
The RHSV is kept alive by its membership and volunteers
Aside from the amazing benefits that you will receive from being a member of the RHSV, your membership helps to support the Royal Historical Society of Victoria’s mission to promote the Victorian experience of Australian History.