Using the RHSV website
Resources For Societies
- Tips for good record keeping and financial reporting to members (PDF, 85.8 KB). These tips cover some of the main issues that should be addressed by the governing body of any entity.
- Information Technology and Local History (Blog). A blog recording how IT is used (or can be used) in specific local history projects.
- Cataloguing Guidelines for Historical Societies (Blog). A blog recording providing information for cataloguing projects.
- Arts Victoria’s Disaster Response Protocol (PDF, 244 KB). Provision for immediate funding to the value of up to $5,000 for community collections in the case of fire, flood, earthquake or storm.
- RHSV Local History Thesaurus (Word Document)
Information Technology and Historical Societies
Information and Historical Societies Survey Report 2010
A survey report on how RHSV affiliated societies use information technology, particularly for collection management and communication.
GLAM Peak Digital Access to Collections Toolkit (launched Feb 2017)
Practical information for societies about digitising collections.
Handling Archival Documents
Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials, 2019. ‘About conservation’. Available at:https://aiccm.org.au/conservation
Duranti, L 1995. ‘Reliability and Authenticity: The concepts and their implications’, Archivaria, vol. 39. Available at: https://archivaria.ca/archivar/index.php/archivaria/article/view/12063/13035
Eastwood, T 1994. ‘What is archival theory and why is it important?’, Archivaria, vol. 37. Available at: https://archivaria.ca/index.php/archivaria/article/viewFile/11991/12954
Library of Congress, 2019. ‘Paper collections: documents, art on paper, posters, maps, etc’. Available at: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/about/faqs/paper.html
The Institute of Conservation, 2006. ‘Care and conservation of documents and archives’. Available at: https://icon.org.uk/system/files/documents/care_and_conservation_of_documents_and_archives.pdf
National Archives, 2019. ‘Handing documents’. Available at: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/visit-us/researching-here/handling-documents/
National Archives, 2016. ‘Safe Access – Handling’, Archive Principles and Practice: an introduction to archives for non-archivists. Available at: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/archives/archive-principles-and-practice-an-introduction-to-archives-for-non-archivists.pdf
National Archives and Records Administration, 2016. Basic Laws and Authorities of the National Archives and Records Administration. Available at: https://www.archives.gov/files/about/laws/basic-laws-book-2016.pdf
Public Record Office Victoria, 2012. ‘Fact Sheet 1a: Archival principles, series and consignment’. Available at: https://prov.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2016-05/1013fs1a.pdf
Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections, 1995. ‘Paper Documents’. Available at: https://www.si.edu/mci/downloads/RELACT/paper_documents.pdf