The Victorian Historical Journal, first published as the Victorian Historical Magazine in 1911, is the official journal of record and scholarly publication of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria. It is the second oldest history journal in Australia, containing a vast collaborative history of Victoria with hundreds of individual contributors and topics. It is also a primary source and research tool for researchers and is focused on Victorian History and Australian History as it illuminates Victorian History.
It is a refereed journal with outstanding contributions by academic and non-academic historians. Its editors drawn from the community of scholars of Victorian and Australia History, are committed to acting with independence, promptness and integrity. The Journal now publishes Historical Notes as well – reviewed by the editors, not external reviewers, to illuminate particular historical episodes. The Journal is overseen by an Editorial Board. The board of the Victorian Historical Journal encourages authors to contribute articles – see Contributor guidelines 2019 and Style Guide 2016
Back issues from 2013 to 2020 can be found on the RHSV website here.
Back issues of the Victorian Historical Journal are found on the State Library of Victoria’s website and through INFORMIT and the Web of Science. You can search the Victorian Historical Journal Indexes online via the RHSV catalogue. The Victorian Historical Journal is published twice yearly and is available from the Society for $15.00 each issue (plus $5.00 postage & handling). Back issues of the Victorian Historical Journal are also available for purchase. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
For more on the Victorian Historical Journal’s policy on reviewing and ethics
Search the Victorian Historical Journal online
You can search the Victorian Historical Journal Indexes online via the RHSV catalogue.
Following a successful Victoria 175 grant, early editions of the Victorian Historical Journal from 1911 to 2012 have been digitised and can be accessed online on the State Library of Victoria’s website. The digital version of the journal available on the State Library of Victoria website, will be progressively released to maintain a three-year lag time behind the hard copy version.
Print copies of the journal and its index are available in the RHSV Library.
EDITORIAL BOARD: Victorian Historical Journal
Chair of the Board
- Emeritus Professor Graeme Davison, FAHA, FASSA, FFAHA, AO, Sir John Monash Distinguished Professor, Monash University
Members of the Board
- Emeritus Professor Richard Broome, FAHA, FRHSV, Department of Archaeology and History, La Trobe University and President of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria. Co- editor Victorian Historical Journal
- Associate Professor Kat Ellinghaus, Department of Archaeology and History, La Trobe University
- Professor Katie Holmes FASS, Director, Centre for the Study of the Inland, La Trobe University
- Professor Andrew May, Department of Historical and Philosophical Studies, University of Melbourne
- Professor Emerita Marian Quartly, FFAHS, Monash University
- Emeritus Professor John Rickard FAHA FRHSV, Monash University
- Adjunct Professor Judith Smart, FRHSV, RMIT University
- Carole Woods FRHSV, RHSV and Community History representative
- Bart Ziino, Senior Lecturer in History, Deakin University