Situated in the Old Court House built in 1890, the Boort Museum – Historical Society specialises in family histories with many photographs, and the preservation of historical documents and artifacts.
The aim of the society is to help people discover their family history. To have appropriate records available, with guidance in ways to research and record their history and genealogy.
The Ballarat & District Genealogical Society Inc. was formed in 1978 as a breakaway group from the Ballarat Historical Society. This move was perceived as making a distinction between local history and family history research.
Hours – Monday to Thursday 10.00am – 4.30pm Collection includes: Family histories, references assisting local research, local histories, cemetery records, birth marriage and death records, computer access, electoral rolls, interstate records, directories.
Postal Address – Secretary BDGS Inc, P.O Box 1809, Ballarat Mail Centre, 3354
The Society promotes the study, collection and preservation of the history, heritage and environment of Buninyong and the surrounding district.
Image: ‘Buninyong Town Hall, home of the Buninyong and District Historical Society’.
The El Dorado Museum collection is sited in the original schoolhouse number 246 which opened in 1870. The school rooms and out-sheds house a large variety of items such as social and domestic purpose items.
Gold and tin mining relics from the Cock’s El Dorado Gold and Tin Dredge and Cock’s Pioneer sluicing are on display as well as information on various mines in the area with some photographic history of the mining from 1850 until 1950. Agricultural implements can be viewed in and around the big shed.
A Blacksmith’s shop has a fireplace, bellows, anvil, hammers and other tools, horseshoes as well as Kelly Gang replica forged armour. There are also woodworkers hand tools, saws, and mining implements. Genealogy is available from school records, cemetery records World War One records and some photos, lodge and church records, and mining records. The museum has war memorabilia ranging from helmets and medals to souvenirs and bayonets.
Children’s treasure hunt activities are available with some hands on items to try out as well. They can have a go at gold panning and keep any gold that they discover.
Friends of Cornish Hill are a Landcare group. Our connection with RHSV goes back to the day when Cornish Hill Reserve was saved from sale by members of the local community who realised the value of the Reserve as being historically and environmentally significant.
The Friends have been beavering away restoring the Smiths creek corridor to bring it back to what it looked like before mining ravaged the landscape.
Image: Friends of Cornish Hill working bee in June 2018
Local history society and museum and shop open daily in summer and four days during the rest of the year.
Kilmore Historical Society’s Research Centre is located in the Kilmore Court House. The collection has an extensive biographical and photographic register of information, including resources on local schools, railways and buildings.[caption id="attachment_2494" align="alignnone" width="792"] Post Office, Courthouse and Police Barracks[/caption]
Macarthur and District Historical Society occupies the former Court House, 31 High Street, Macarthur. Research $10. Archives – minute books, cemetery burial ledgers, photos, maps, some births and marriage records, newspapers, clubs, school and family histories.
The MHSA Victorian Branch welcomes new members and guests and if any of your members are interested in military history they are especially welcome to join us at any time.
We have recently moved to the Oakleigh-Carnegie RSL in Drummond Street, Oakleigh. We meet every fourth Thursday of the month (except December) at 8 pm.
MHHS aims to preserve, document, acquire and interpret the historyof the eastern Hills. MHHS assists individual researchers, schoolsand other groupsto compilelocal history. The Society has a large Archive of informationrelating to the history of the shir.The Mundarring District Museum, opened in 1997, and houses a permanent displayabout people, placesand eventsof historical interest the shire of Mundaring
In 1863 the Newstead Court of Petty Sessions was built to the design of colonial architect John James Clark.
In February 1986 a group of interested people met and formed the Newstead & District Historical Society Inc.
In 1987 the Society applied through the then Shire of Newstead to the Department formerly named Conservation, Forests & Lands for the use of the old courthouse as a venue. The application was successful and since then members have carried out a great deal of work both in restoring and maintaining the building as well as collecting and conserving the history of the area. Our building is unique in that no alterations or additions have been done to it.
Formed in 1993 to preserve the identity of this historic port town in the face of amalgamation. Large collection of documents and photos 1860 onwards. Genealogical database, monthly meetings with speakers, weekly work sessions, busy program of research projects, publishing, exhibitions.
Maintains the oldest house in Romsey – Seymour Cottage. Museum with displays of local interest in former Court House. Collection of local history & family documents.
Trentham Historical Society works to preserve, and make available to the public, the history of the township of Trentham and the surrounding district including the settlements of Little Hampton, East Trentham, Spring Hill, Fern Hill and Tylden. The society publishes a quarterly newsletter and booklets from time to time and also holds an annual exhibition.
The Society was formed in 1972 to preserve the history of the municipality and to offer research facilities to students and members of the public.
We are committed to the collection, preservation and promotion of the history of the municipality of Glen Eira.
Our collection includes documents, photos, maps, family histories and books.
Open Tuesday and Friday 9am – 12noon
Suburbs or towns: Caulfield; Elsternwick; North Caulfield; South Caulfield; Murrumbeena; Ormond; City of Glen Eira; McKinnon; Bentleigh; Carnegie; Gardenvale; Glen Huntly
Tyntyndyer (Tyntynder in modern spelling) homestead is in the Swan Hill irrigation district, 16 km north of Swan Hill in north-west Victoria. The heritage-listed homestead was built in 1846 by Andrew & Peter Beveridge who took up the Tyntyndyer pastoral run. The pastoral run was the first European settlement in the Swan Hill district.
The Tyntyndyer Plains, stretching along the Victorian banks of the mighty Milloo (Murray River) was home to the Watti Watti people for thousands of years. Their homes were built of bark and mud, mia-mias and they farmed the land. Native grass seeds and nardoo were harvested and ground for flour, stubble was burnt and lush regrowth attracted grazing stock – kangaroos and emu. Fish nets were woven from the fibrous roots of reeds and quandong, the native fruit, was harvested and dried. reeds, for spears, and possum skins were traded for green stone, used for axes. Major Mitchell arrived at ‘Matakupa’ in 1836 and named the area Swan Hill. In 1846 the Beveridge brothers travelled from Kilmore by bullock dray and settled on 300 square miles of land. The property retained the name of these rich grass plains and became known as Tyntyndyer Station.
The construction of the homestead, of drop log cabin cabin of Murray Pine, was commenced in that year. Bricked over in 1850, with had made bricks, this has been classified as the first brick veneer in Australia. The homestead was completed in 1854 with a solid brick extension and in 1860 roof iron, brought from Glasgow, was placed over the stringy bark shingles.
The homestead, furnishings, collections and artifacts have all remained intact and now offer an excellent, authentic and fascinating insight into early colonial days.
- Wonderful inventions that remained at Tyntyndyer from the early settlers
- Cellar – filled with an amazing collection of Aboriginal artifacts and curios from indigenous cultures around the world – protected under the custodianship of the Watti Watti people
- Chock log cabin kitchen – floor to ceiling full of bric-a-brac and pioneer memorabilia (1854)
- Enter the schoolhouse and tutor room (1854) and see the assorted collections of sewing samplers, school work and early photographic equipment
- “Tyntyndyer” is the Aboriginal name of the area and means “song of the birds” and true to it’s name the quiet gardens and huge trees which shade the homestead today play host to a variety of beautiful native birds (garden established in the mid 1800s with assistance from Baron Von Mueller)
The Chaffey Trail – Trace the story with a self guided tour of key heritage sites and buildings of the region.
The Chaffey story begins with a wonderful interpretation and film about the Chaffey brothers at the centre.
You are invited to view the informative video production of the “Chaffey Trail” in the theatrette, detailing the history of irrigation in the region and the Chaffey brothers.
Open 7 days showing every half hour commencing at 9.30am with the last film screening at 4.30pm.