Name/TitleCustoms House : Front and Eastern View, Flinders Street, Melbourne c. 1878.
About this objectPhoto taken around the time of building completion. Also shown: Western Dining Rooms (No. 4 William Street) (left); the multistory Melbourne Savings Bank (left, behind Customs House); a telegraph pole (far right); and gas lamps on the pillars lining the original fence.
This building, completed in 1876, is on the site of the original Customs House built in 1836. The building of the current Customs House commenced in 1858. The architect is unknown but some authorities suggest Robert Russell. The proprietor of the Western Savings Rooms was listed in the 1879 Street directory as Martin Zelius. [Ref : Old Customs House, Department of Works, 1966]
In 1965 the building was converted into Commonwealth Parliamentary office and in 1998 it became the Immigration Museum.
It is one of approximately 50 photographs from the set 'Views of Melbourne" by Charles Nettleton. Complete set in RHSV collection A-10-C to A-50-C.
Victorian Heritage register H1047
This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission .For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria
MakerNettleton, Charles, 1826–1902
Maker RolePhotographer
Inscription and MarksInscribed on backing board under image : NETTLETON PHOTO / Copyright Registered / MELBOURNE / Custom House
Series TitleViews of Melbourne
Measurements13.5 x 20 cm (image)
24 x 29 cm (sheet)
Period1870-1880
Object TypePhotograph
Subject and Association KeywordsCustoms House (Melbourne, Vic.)
Subject and Association KeywordsWestern Dining Rooms
Subject and Association KeywordsMelbourne Savings Bank
Subject and Association KeywordsGas lamps and lighting
Subject and Association KeywordsFlinders Street (Melbourne, Vic.)
Subject and Association KeywordsHotels
Subject and Association KeywordsHistoric buildings and sites
Subject and Association KeywordsMelbourne (Victoria.)
Named CollectionImages collection
Credit LineDonated by Miss R Drew of Caulfield, 28 September 1921
Original copy of image numbered: "PH230168"/"AL49-0041"/"12901" has a a note of donation on verso:
"Donated by Don A Mclean [?] / 30 Labornom [?] St, Mid Brighton [?] 1944"
Object numberA-16-P
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved

239 A'Beckett Street Melbourne, Victoria, 3000
03 9326 9288
office@historyvictoria.org.au
Office & Library: Weekdays 10am-4pm

