eHive Search « Previous 1 … 512 513 514 515 516 … 529 Next »MS 000075 (Box 31-6); Accounts by E. S. Miller of the life of William Buckley. ; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; [MS 000075-6] William Buckley draft notes by E.S. Miller. including newspaper clippings and bibliography. Includes his convict days, his escape, detailed reference to Aboriginal Australians, their customs and language, Buckley's relationship with John Batman, life in Tasmania, 1838-1852 Includes chapters : 'Notes on Aboriginal customs' and 'Identification of localities mentioned in the narrative concerning William Buckley" Everard Studley Miller (1886-1956), philanthropist, was born on 24 October 1886 at Studley Park, Kew, Melbourne, younger of two sons of (Sir) Edward Miller, banker, and his wife Mary Elizabeth, née Darlot, and grandson of Henry ('Money') Miller. He was educated at Melbourne Church of England Grammar School and at Sherborne School, Dorsetshire, England. Though he would have liked to have gone to the University of Cambridge and become a don, he followed the wishes of his father and returned to take up his position in the family business of the Bank of Victoria, probably until 1927 when the bank amalgamated. He had continued studies under (Sir) Archibald Strong, classical scholar and writer. In 1914 he joined the (Royal) Historical Society of Victoria and attended meetings of the Classical Association. Miller collected small objets d'art and prints, particularly Arundel chromolithographs reproducing Italian Primitives. His chief interests were engineering and photography. He practised the latter from 1903, increasingly for the purpose of historical study, as an aid to preserving 'the monumental memories of early Australia'; he assembled his work in a series of albums, the first of which was called Historical Monuments in Victoria I. In the pursuit of family history and the history of pioneers he travelled extensively, first in Tasmania and later in Great Britain and Europe. Between 1914 and 1919 he joined Isaac Selby in protesting against the resumption of the old Melbourne cemetery which contained monuments to distinguished pioneers of the Port Phillip settlement. Daryl Lindsay, from 1941 director of the National Gallery of Victoria, on whom Miller called frequently, remembered that he showed considerable interest in the administration of the Felton Bequest. In increasingly poor health after World War II, Miller lived quietly at the family house Glyn, designed by the architect Rodney Howard Alsop, in Kooyong Road, Toorak, until his death on 5 July 1956. He was cremated with Anglican rites. A bachelor, tall and distinguished-looking, he was shy and retiring in manner, inclined to contemplation rather than business or society. His most cherished ambition took form in a will which, from an estate sworn for probate at £262,950, bequeathed property and money to the value of £170,000 to the National Gallery of Victoria, as a purchasing fund to be used for the acquisition of 'portraits of individuals of merit in history, painted, engraved or sculptured before 1800'. Purchases were made from about 1960 until 1977 when the fund was exhausted. His collection of photographic material was left to the Royal Historical Society of Victoria; the classics department of the University of Melbourne obtained a selection of his library. *Please note : these records reflect the creator’s views, and/or those of the period and may contain terms and views which are culturally sensitive and not considered appropriate today. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that these records may contain names and/or images of deceased persons. <a href="http://192.168.11.16:93/index.php/ms-000075-pdf" target="_blank">RHSV Staff & Volunteers click here for AtoM</a>; Manuscript; Manuscripts CollectionVictorian Historical Journal : 13 Volume 4 (2), 1914; Royal Historical Society of Victoria; Index: Aborigines : photographs, etc / p. 20 Beilby, John Wood : explorations in the Mallee / p. 39 Beilby, John Wood : sketch map of his journey / p. 46 Bibliography : Bibliography of Victoria / p. 5 Church History : church histories, various / p. 9, 81, 119 Clow, J. M. : settler in Mallee / p. 35 Coinage, Australian : currency, paper / p. 19, 120 Coinage, Australian : tokens and paper currency / p. 19 Coins, Medals, etc : list of / p. 19 Currency : paper currency / p. 19, 120 Dana, Captain : report on Mallee / p. 33 Endowment Fund : Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] / p. 22 Explorers and Pioneers : portraits, list of / p. 11 Eyre, E. J. : explorations in Mallee / p. 28 Fire Brigades : photographs, etc, relating to / p. 11 Geelong : early photographs of / p. 16, 82, 120 Gippsland : Gippsland Sub-centre Historical Society / p. 6 Goldfields : list of photographs, documents, etc / p. 17 Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] : 'The Historical Society of Victoria [HSV]: Special Quinquennial Report, 1909-1914 (including material collected, future opertions and financial position)' / p. 01-1 Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] : library of / p. 7, 81, 119 Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] : material collected by / p. 7 Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] : publications by members / p. 5 Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] : Report / p. 1 Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] : Sub-centre at Gippsland / p. 6 Kenyon, A. S. : 'The Story of the Mallee, Part 1' (article) / p. 23-56 Lake Hindmarsh : (The Story of the Mallee) / p. 30, 58, 143 Library : Historical Society of Victoria [HSV] / p. 7, 81, 119 Mallee District : Beilby, J. W., explorations in / p. 39 Mallee District : Beilby's sketch map of his journey / p. 46 Mallee District : Clow, J. M., settler in / p. 35 Mallee District : Dana, Captain, report on Mallee / p. 33 Mallee District : description of Mallee (Mitchell's) / p. 27 Mallee District : Eyre, E. J., explorations in the / p. 28 Mallee District : Mallee pastoral holdings in 1851 (map) / p. 36 Mallee District : Open Mallee Country (illustration) / p. 1 Mallee District : Porcupine Grass Ridges (illustration) / p. 25 Mallee District : The Story of the Mallee / p. 23, 57, 121, 175 Mallee District : Wade, H., Asst Surveyor in Mallee, 1847 / p. 34 Mallee District : White, E. R., explorations in Mallee / p. 35, 57 Maps and Plans : Beilby's sketch map of his journey / p. 46 Maps and Plans : list of, in Society's library / p. 14, 81, 120 Maps and Plans : Mallee pastoral holdings in 1851 and exploration routes / p. 36 Melbourne : early views of / p. 15 Memorials : / p. 18, 120 Mitchell, Major T. L. : description of Mallee / p. 27 Parliamentary and Legal History : publications relating to / p. 8 Photographs and Views : list of country and suburban / p. 16 Pine Plains : (The Story of the Mallee) / p. 35, 66, 146 Portraits : clergymen, physicians and lawyers, portraits / p. 14 Portraits : early Government officials, portraits / p. 12 Portraits : explorers and pioneers, list of portraits / p. 11 Portraits : merchants, portraits / p. 14 Portraits : municipal officers, portraits / p. 13 Postage Stamps : early postage stamps / p. 19 Records : official records, preservation of / p. 1, 2 Records : Records Office for Victoria / p. 21 Reminiscences : list of, in Society’s library / p. 18 Royal Australian Historical Society : Proceedings / p. 1, 80, 118 Royal Geographical Society (South Aust Branch) : Proceedings / p. 2, 80 Schools : public school histories and education / p. 10 South Australia : South Australian Branch of the Royal Geographic Society, Proceedings / p. 2, 80 Tokens and Paper Currency : list of publications, etc / p. 19 Topography : historical (Gazetteers and Directories) / p. 14 Volunteer Corps : / p. 11, 151 Wade, H. : Assistant Surveyor in Mallee, 1847 / p. 34 White, E. R. : Assistant Surveyor, explorations in Mallee / p. 35, 57 ; Periodical; Library - PeriodicalsA-37-D; Emerald Hill, St. Vincent Place South, c. 1878. ; Nettleton, Charles, 1826–1902; This view features Rochester Terrace (33-51 St Vincent Place South), on the south side of St Vincent Place with the communal Gardens in the foreground and a garden shelter at the right. Garden features include a bowling green, a kiosk, cypress trees and a picket fence. Rochester Terrace (Heritage Register Number 813) The photograph overlaps with A-236-D It is one of approximately 50 photographs from the set 'Views of Melbourne" by Charles Nettleton. Complete set in RHSV collection A-10-C to A-50-C. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a> ; c. 1878; Photograph; Images collection; Donated by Donald McLean, 30 Laburnum St, Middle BrightonMS 001879 (Box 301-2); Cash Book / Receipts Ledger for the Cranbourne Police Station May 19 1929 to May 1936 ; Victoria. Police Department; Cash Book / Receipt Ledger recording money received at the Cranbourne Police Station from May 1929 to May 1936 The ledger records the name of the person paying the fine and also the case it relates to. For example Money received from George Gilmore for the case Police Vs Gilmore Warrant of Distress 12 shillings 6 pence paid. Money received from John Kennedy for the case Melbourne Electric Supply Company vs Kennedy Warrant of District 18 shillings 6 pence The ledger also records money paid by people to obtain their driver's licence and to register their cycles : J. Hamilton ; R. Rolstone ; P. H. Savage ; R. Smith ; P. Donnelly ; B. Sargant ; H. F. Cox ; P. Ridgeway ; J. Nichols. The book records Warrants of Distress, Vehicle registration fees, drivers licences and cycle registrations, Warrants of Commitment and "maintenance money" for the Children's Welfare Department. There are 14 pages at the start of the ledger where returned National Bank Cheques from 1941 to 1942 have attached . ; Ledger; Manuscripts Collection; Donated by Allan Ritter, 2019PR M- 0077; MARSH, Henry; Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Henry Birth Year: 1858 Birth Place: Wiltshire England Victorian Residence: Emerald Hill, Family Name: MARSH (nee HITCHCOCK /HISCOCK) Given Name: Mary Ann Birth Date: 1858 Birth Place: Lechlade, Glouchestershire, England Victorian Residence: Emerald Hill Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Edith Mary Birth Date: 1884 Birth Place: Melbourne, Vic. Victorian Residence: Melbourne Family Name: MARSH Given Name: William Birth Date: 1885 Birth Place: Port Melbourne Victorian Residence: Port Melbourne Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Elsie May Birth Date: 1886 Birth Place: Melbourne Victorian Residence: Melbourne Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Henry William Birth Date: 1888 Birth Place: South Australia Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Phillipa Birth Date: 1889 Birth Place: South Australia Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Walter Rowland Birth Date: 1893 Birth Place: South Australia Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Alice Birth Date: 1894 Birth Place: South Australia Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Frank Arnold Birth Date: 1897 Birth Place: South Australia Family Name: MARSH Given Name: Doreen Catherine Birth Date: 1899 Birth Place: South Australia Note: Pioneer Register records are submitted by individuals to the RHSV and information should always be verified to primary sources such as civil indexes, shipping records and directories. RG03-06-002; Walhalla conservation study; Planning Collaborative (Firm); This report records a 1984 study of Walhalla which had several objectives/outcomes, including: > document the history of the area with particular reference to built environment > provide an inventory and information of buildings, works, sites and objects for inclusion in Historic Buildings Register and which should receive special consideration by the Shire of Narracan > make recommendations for conservation and restoration of significant buildings, sites, areas and monuments > outline and evaluate scenarios for the future development of Walhalla Includes facsimile images, plans and maps. Appendice 1 is comprised of data sheets with photographs for contributive buildings, sites, and vegetation. Walhalla and surrounds have formed part of the Baw Baw Shire Council since 1994. The Butler Collection is a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material. ; 1984; Book; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023RG03-44-048; Set of papers: Francis House, 107 Collins Street, Melbourne; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Research file and statement of heritage significance for Francis House, 107 Collins Street, Melbourne. File assembled for nomination of Francis House to Historic Buildings Register, 1986. Francis House was built in 1929 and was the first building awarded the Street Architecture Medal. It was designed by architects Blackett and Forster for pharmacists Henry Francis & Co. [Source: Wikipedia] Includes: > Graeme Butler, "Francis House, Collins Street. Report to the Historic Buildings Council on behalf of the National Trust of Australia, (Vic), July 1986" Includes original photographic prints. > National Trust of Australia (Vic), "Submission concerning Francis House 107 Collins Street, Melbourne to the Historic Buildings Council" (1986) > 7 x reports on the construction, architecture, preservation of Francis House, (1986) > 1 x correspondence, Chapter of Pharmacy History. (1986) > 1 x A3 plans for 101 Collins Street, inclusive of 107 Collins Street. (photocopies). These items are part of the Butler Collection, a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; 1986; Document; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023.RG03-44-049; Set of papers: Austral Building, 115-119 Collins Street, Melbourne; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Research file for Austral Building, 115-119 Collins Street, Melbourne. File assembled for possible inclusion of Austral Building on the Historic Buildings Register in 1988. The Austral Building [also Austral Buildings] was constructed in 1890 in the English Queen Anne revival style. It was designed by noted Melbourne architect, Nahum Barnet and housed noted literary and artistic tenants until well into the 20th century. [Source: Wikipedia] Includes: > 1 x correspondence, Historic Buildings Council, 1988. > 4 x National Trust of Australia (Vic) research files/file notes, c.1988. > Mary Holyoake, "Artists' Studios in Melbourne 1840s-1980s", unpublished manuscript. > Graeme Butler, "Austral Buildings. Oral Data", 1988. > City of Melbourne - building permit application index cards, (photocopies) > partial architectural plans, 1929, 1970. (photocopies) > photocopies of photographs > handwritten notes - Sands & MacDougall directory entries These items are part of the Butler Collection, a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material. Some items were copied onto repurposed paper and show unrelated text on one side.; 1988; Document; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023.RG03-64-001; Glenferrie Road/High Street conservation study commissioned by the City of Malvern; Coleman Sutherland Conservation Consultants (firm); 1-1: Title page: Glenferrie Road/High Street conservation study; commissioned by the city of Malvern; prepared by Coleman Sutherland Conservation Consultants.; May 1983. 2nd edition: August 1984. This study identifies buildings and areas of architectural and historical importance within the Glenferrie Road/High Street Centre and makes recommendations for their protection under the Historic Buildings Register and Town and Country Planning Act. The report includes guidelines for building restoration and future development. Includes maps, diagrams, photographs, bibliography and glossary. Also includes a building typology matrix, recording original and restored features of each building in the survey area. 1-2: Supplementary file. Letter addressed to Graeme Butler from Brian Stafford, Lacework Landscape Collaborative, dated 16 August 1988. The Butler Collection is a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; 1984; Book; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023RG03-80-020; Industrial Archaeology of Victoria; Vines, Gary; 20-1: Other title: Industrial Archaeology of Victoria, industrial heritage databases, registers and recording systems in use in Victoria by Gary Vines for Melbourne's Living Museum of the West Incorporated, 1996. This report provides a summary of the heritage recording systems in use in Victoria in 1996, with outlines of the organisations and the type of typological or classification used. Key types of sites include bridges, roads, milestones, railways, water supply, electrical supply, wharves, mining, agricultural and pastoral technology, flour mills and moveable objects. Includes index and comparative analysis. 20-2: Supplementary file > Contextual letter from Gary Vines regarding contents of report. > 2 floppy disks, and accompanying 1 page description regarding content. Contains bibliography, indexes. The Butler Collection is a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; 1996; Book; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023GS-BCS-40; Panoramic view looking along Toorak Road, Toorak, 1920; T.W. Cameron (Firm); This elevated view of the north side of Toorak Road looking east was probably photographed from the tower of St John's Church, which is situated on the south-east corner of Orrong and Toorak roads. Located east of Lansell Road, the red brick building seen just left of the middle of the image is a chapel and presbytery built by the Catholic Church in 1911. In 1922, St Peter's Catholic Church was built on this site. The grey and white steeple, seen on the horizon to the right of the image, belongs to the Presbyterian (Uniting) Church, built in 1876, north of St Georges Road. The houses and mansions occupying the land between the two churches, that is, the land between Lansell Road and St Georges Road, were built on the Toorak House estate after it was subdivided in 1874 and 1900. William Drummond bought at least two allotments facing Toorak Road, and built 'Kildrum' in 1902, a mansion with a coach house and outhouses. An early electric tram can be seen passing in front of St Peter's. The Prahran municipality was one of the first to establish a tram service in 1910. Image most probably reproduced from 'The History of Prahran, from its first settlement to a City' (2nd. ed. 1924) by J. B. Cooper, opposite p140. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-BCS-46; University of Melbourne : first building - original design, c. 1855; T.W. Cameron (Firm); This etching of the proposed first major building (quadrangle) to be constructed at the University of Melbourne campus, focusses on the south wing with its short tower. Unfortunately, after building the other three wings of the quadrangle, there were no more funds to complete this fourth, south side above the foundations. This image is probably one of the etchings commissioned by the architect, Francis Maloney White, of the building he envisioned. He based his design on contemporary British university buildings which favoured the Tudor Gothic style to denote ties to traditional seats of learning, but with an absence of ecclesiastic features, to indicate modernity and secular ideas. The foundation stone was laid in 1854 by the first Chancellor, Sir Redmond Barry, and the Lieutenant-Governor, Sir Charles Hotham. The design was altered many times during the build. The original design of the south wing tower inspired the clocktower of the Old Arts building opened in 1924. The south wing was finally constructed in 1969. A creek was dammed to create the lake, and gardens of native and exotic plantings and meandering paths were landscaped around the Quadrangle. Also see "A History of the University of Melbourne" by E. Scott (1936) opposite p12. Similar image GS-EM-72. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Photograph; Images collection