eHive Search « Previous 1 … 514 515 516 517 518 … 529 Next »LIB 00064129; James Kirby (1828-1904) : newspaper correspondence and reminiscences; Clark, Ian D., 1958-; Born in 1828 in Blakesley, Northhamptonshire, England, he emigrated to Australia with his family per the barque 'China', arriving in Melbourne on 2 May 1840. In 1885 he published 'A treatise on Cattle', and in 1895 'Old Times in the Bush of Australia'. In 1894/5 he published ten articles in the Leader, entitled 'Old Time Reminiscences. A True Record of Early Adventures'. These articles are reproduced in this work. Before retiring to Melbourne in 1900, he led a varied life, occupying Tyntynder station on the Murray River near present-day Swan Hill, with Andrew and Peter Beveridge in 1845; operating a postal service at the Glenelg River Crossing Place (later Casterton) in 1847; operating a store at Casterton with his brother, Edmund, from 1848; in 1854 he renewed his Inn-keeper's license for the 'Glenelg Inn' at Casterton; in 1861 he was at 'The Avenue' station, near Penola, in South Australia. He was inn-keeper of the 'Gate Hotel' near Naracoorte, South Australia, in 1868. From 1875 until 1900 he was sheep farming at 'Hillcroft' near Minyip, in the Wimmera district. In the late 1890s he sought a pension from the State, as one of the pioneers 'who had opened up the natural resources of the colony at the risk of their lives in the early days'. In 1900 the State Cabinet agreed that he should receive 20 shillings a week. He died in September 1904 and was buried in the Kew Cemetery. His reminiscences contain extensive discussion of his interaction with the Watti Watti people of the Swan Hill district.; BookMS 001188 (Box 061-17); S.S. Steamship "Great Britain" & mining and farming pioneer, Hugh Harris; Ross, Stewart; Short history of the 'Great Britain' and family story of Scottish passenger, Hugh Harris and his descendents. After his arrival in Melbourne in 1852, Harris sought his fortune in the gold mines in Beechworth. Later, after marriage, he settled in the nearby town of Stanley but by 1865 he sold his water and mining rights and bought land as a free selector in Corryong. His Corryong property was called "Hunter's Plain". The homestead, built in 1870 on Parish Lane, is typical of vernacular Australian design with its hipped roof and encircling verandahs. Its walls of locally hewn stone are a notable feature. The property has since been classified by the National Trust. Hugh Harris and family were early pioneers to the Upper Murray region. Harris built and managed the first school on his land in Corryong and also provided land and helped build the Presbyterian Church. He lived in the Corryong area until his death in 1913. (Box 061-17) MS 001188 : includes reference to goldfield and mining; free selecting; farming in and around Beechworth; building of schools and churches. People : Miles, R. W., Pearson, J. Beechworth, Briggs, James, Duffy Land Act (1862), Hamilton, Alan, Harris family, Harris, Hugh, Harris, James, Kiell, Robert Gordon, Lawson, 'Bricky', Ross, Stewart, Steel, Jane. Paper presented at the RHSV 'SS Great Britain' Conference, 2002, by Stewart Ross, great-grandson of Hugh Harris. This conference was designed to mark the 150th Anniversary of the migrant ship's first voyage to Australia with over 700 passengers. ; 2002; Document; Manuscripts Collection; Donated by Stewart Ross 25 Doolan St., Werribee, Vic 3030MS-001502 (Box 334B); G.P. Chaffey : Photo album and ephemera, c. 1930-1960; Chaffey, G. Peter; Peter Chaffey was the son of William Herbert Chaffey and his wife Laura. Peter's family and siblings Bonita, William and Samuel [Rolph] lived in Merbein. His great grandfather was William Benjamin Chaffey, who with his brother George were pioneers of Mildura. Features: - Loose photographs : Children in boat "Peter at rear / Bill had this canoe made / for Peter Xmas 1955 / River Murray" -- 2 photos of a ceremony featuring the Queen of England and Duke of Edinburgh visiting Mildura March 25th 1954. One of these photographs is inscribed on verso : ...their majesties talking to Dad about the / irrigation scheme after we both had been presented...." -- studio portrait of a mature William Benjamin Chaffey in a fur lined robe - Photo album. Inscribed : “P. Chaffey, Manifold House Geelong Grammar School, Corio Vic.” Family photos [1930s -1950s], Hartwig family, scenes taken at Victorian locations such as Downey’s Mill, Dandenongs, or rowing a boat at Mildura, and non-Victorian locales such as Deniliquin. Some appear to be friends or family in ANZAC/military apparel. Another has scouts from Merebin posing on the front of a VR train? School photos of the Geelong Grammar Manifold House Crew, shooting team and swimming team (all from 1945 and all featuring G.P. Chaffey). -Plans for the residence of P & E.M. Chaffey, Old Belair Road, Mitcham. Approved by the Corporation of the City of Mitcham (S.A.) 3rd November 1954. -An agreement for the Sale of land between Arthur Oscar Roberts and Peter Chaffey, for allotments near Old Belair Road, Mitcham (Adelaide) 23rd March 1954. Comes with envelope. -Business card from H. R. Bickerstaff of the National Mutual Life Association of Australia Limited.; VariousPH03-10-0006; Photograph collection: buildings, parks and Keilor Heritage Trail signage in Keilor; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Set of twenty-five black and white images believed to be taken in the course of the City of Brimbank Cultural Heritage Review, (1997-2000). The buildings are commonly pictured from the front or on a partial angle, sometimes obscured by vegetation. Some show vehicles, building development works and the surrounding landscape. The addresses include: > former Keilor Court House and Shire Hall, 777 Calder Freeway Keilor > McFarlane Gates, Keilor Recreation Reserve, corner Old Calder Highway and Kennedy Street Keilor > Keilor Police Station, 779 Old Calder Highway Service Road Keilor > Christ Church [Anglican Church] and gates, 36 Church Street, corner Church and Kennedy streets Keilor > Keilor Hotel, 670-674 Old Calder Highway Keilor > Old Iron Bridge also known as Basket Bridge or Keilor Road Bridge, Old Calder Highway crossing the Maribyrnong River near Gumm's Corner Keilor > Caroline Chisholm Shelter Shed, 658 Old Calder Highway Keilor > Old Dodd Homestead, Brimbank Park, Cemetery Road Keilor > Keilor Cemetery and pioneer graves, Old Calder Highway Keilor Notable sites include: Keilor Cemetery and pioneer graves -- former Keilor Court House -- Christ Church -- Old Iron Bridge -- Caroline Chisholm shelter sheds -- Old Dodd Homestead -- Keilor Hotel -- Cr. McFarlane gates -- Keilor Police Station. The suburb of Keilor falls within both the City of Brimbank and the City of Hume. The Butler Collection is a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; c.1997; Photograph; Butler Collection; Photographer: Graeme Butler Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023PH03-10-0009; Photograph collection: houses, farms and churches in St Albans and Keilor; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Set of twenty-three colour images believed to be taken in the course of the City of Brimbank Cultural Heritage Review, (1997-2000). The buildings are commonly pictured from the front or on a partial angle, sometimes obscured by vegetation. Some show vehicles, building development works and the surrounding landscape. Several photographs include the fuchsia gums located in St Albans for their environmental importance in the Brimbank study. The addresses include: > Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works [MMBW] Western Depot, 247 St Albans Road Keilor > Hume and Hovell monument, currently located on corner of East Esplanade and Power Street St Albans > St Albans Uniting Church (formerly Presbyterian), corner Elaine St and 24-26 East Esplanade St Abans > St Augustine's Catholic Church, 100 Harrick Road Keilor Park [formerly 636 Fullerton Road Keilor] > Trestle Bridge Arundel Road Bridge, Arundel Road Keilor > Anderson farm house, 100 Taylor Road St Albans > Hazelwood, John Milburn's farmhouse, 136 Arundel Road Keilor > Overnewton, 804-804A Old Calder Highway Keilor > Horseshoe Bend Farm, Horseshoe Bend Main Drive, Brimbank Park Keilor Notable sites include: Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works [MMBW] Western Depot -- Hume and Hovell monument -- St Albans Uniting Church -- St Augustines Catholic Church -- Arundel Road trestle bridge -- Anderson farm house -- Milburn's farmhouse -- Overnewton. The suburb of Keilor falls in both the City of Brimbank and the City of Hume. The suburbs of St Albans and Sunshine fall within the City of Brimbank. The Butler Collection is a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; c.1999; Photograph; Butler Collection; Photographer: Graeme Butler Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023A-493; Welsh Church, 320 La Trobe Street, 1872; Copy print photo of the Gothic revival style church with stuccoed walls and turrets on either side of main entrance. The architects were Tasmanian-born Thomas Crouch and recently arrived Londoner Ralph Wilson. The pair commenced working together in 1857 and their Elizabeth Street firm designed numerous prominent Melbourne buildings including many Presbyterian and Wesleyan churches. Shows brick front fence with iron palings. On the pavement outside fence are two gentlemen in top hats, both senior members of the Welsh Church. On the left, hands in pockets, is Reverend William Meirion Evans, minister of the church 1871-1881. On the right is the church secretary, John Meirion Roberts. [source : B. Jones, The Melbourne Welsh Church. This photo comes from the Melbourne Welsh Church archives] Photo taken early 1872, soon after the new Welsh Church building was completed in December 1871. Church is on the Victorian Heritage Register. The first Welsh-language church service in the colony was held on 15 December 1852, and a chapel was first built on this land in La Trobe Street, opening in 1857. Later it was demolished and rebuilt per this photo.; Photograph; Images collectionS-76.1; Walhalla devastated by fire, November 1888; The Walhalla Chronicle; A man standing amidst the burnt out buildings, the chimneys still standing and a unburnt building higher up on the hill. Walhalla was almost totally destroyed by fire on the night of the 24th November 1888. The fire is believed to have originated in one of the back rooms of the Crawford's drapery establishment. Buildings and businesses destroyed included Messes. Harris and Buchanan's general store, Cowl's chemist's shop, Fielchenfield's drapery establishment, Middleton's tailor's shop, the Long Tunnel Hotel, the Walhalla Chronicle newspaper and printing office, Jolly's tobacconist's and stationery premises, Mainland's jeweller's shop, the Mechanic's Institute,'the Bank of Victoria and the Bank of Australasia, Dunn's grocery store, Trick's mining office, the Empire Hotel, the Catholic chapel, Jolly's butcher's shop, Fleming's hair dressing premises and some private houses. The shire hall and the post office were damaged, but saved. [source : The Moe Register and Narracan Shire Advocate, Sat 1 Dec 1888, p.4] This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; 1888; Photograph; Images collectionS-76.4; Walhalla : damaged by fire, November 1888; The Walhalla Chronicle; Panoramic view of township of Walhalla. A burnt out building and chimneys in the foreground, looking down the valley toward undamaged buildings. Walhalla was almost totally destroyed by fire on the night of the 24th November 1888. The fire is believed to have originated in one of the back rooms of the Crawford's drapery establishment. Buildings and businesses destroyed included Messes. Harris and Buchanan's general store, Cowl's chemist's shop, Fielchenfield's drapery establishment, Middleton's tailor's shop, the Long Tunnel Hotel, the Walhalla Chronicle newspaper and printing office, Jolly's tobacconist's and stationery premises, Mainland's jeweller's shop, the Mechanic's Institute,'the Bank of Victoria and the Bank of Australasia, Dunn's grocery store, Trick's mining office, the Empire Hotel, the Catholic chapel, Jolly's butcher's shop, Fleming's hair dressing premises and some private houses. The shire hall and the post office were damaged, but saved. [source : The Moe Register and Narracan Shire Advocate, Sat 1 Dec 1888, p.4] This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; 1888; Photograph; Images collectionLIB 00060742; The Rotary Club of Noble Park : twenty years of history and service 1965-1985; Grills, Cliff T.; ...In this history we have endeavoured to cover as many aspects of the life of the club as possible in an attempt to give it a realistic picture of Rotary in action in Noble Park. A pleasing feature of the twenty years since this club was charted in 1965, has been the involvement of many of its members in the administration of Rotary at District level as well as a strong commitment to the promotion of the ideals of service through the four main avenues of service at Club level. The Rotary Club of Noble Park has had a member elevated to the position of District Governor as well as many other members serving the Districts of 982 and 981 as members of various important committees. Rotary world-wide has a proud and enviable record of service to people everywhere and I am pleased to register something of the fine record of the Rotary Club of Noble Park as an organisation that has a reputation of service to the local community and in the wider field beyond local boundaries... (The editor's note). ; Book; LibraryMS 001066 [Box 33-6]; Certificate of Title, under the "Transfer of Land Act 1928" for Lot 68, Reservoir, 02/10/1953; A Victorian Certificate of Title, Under the "Transfer of Land Act 1928" for Lot 68 on Plan of Subdivision No. 22331. Entered initially into the Register Book as Volume number: 7773, Folio number: 036. The Title was lodged in the Office of Titles as part of the Crown Portion Twelve Parish of Keelbundora County of Bourke. As of now the Certificate of Title is classified as “DESTROYED Cannot be used for any legal purpose. Converted to ECT.” The Certificate of Title contains a measurement in feet and inches of the lot in relation to McFadzean Avenue and O’Connor Street, with the lot being shaded in red. The property’s mortgage was held by Director of War Home Services for various periods, however general research indicates that after World War I, the War Service Homes Commission not only built houses for returned soldiers but assisted with low-interest loans (Source: City of Darebin Heritage Study Volume 1 Draft Thematic Environmental History Stage 2 Report August 2008). Furthermore, in the period after World War II, finance was also made available for privately developed dwellings (Source: eMelbourne). One or more of the proprietors may have utilised this government initiative.; Document; Manuscripts CollectionMS 001800; Grand United Order of Free Gardeners collection; Grand United Order of Free Gardeners; The Lodge of the Grand United Order of Free Gardeners was established as a friendly society in Melbourne in 1864 after the Grand Lodge of Scotland granted a charter to open a Lodge in Victoria. The order spread to most Australian States and eventually there were 25 in Victoria. The origins of the order are obscure but are thought to to have started in Scotland in the 17th century as a fraternity to promote and regulate the trade of working gardeners. By the 19th century is was more active as a workers' benefit society providing sickness benefits, pensions and provision for dependents. This collection includes examples of the Order's regalia, honour boards, shields, framed certificates and portraits, minute books, ledgers, treasurer's books, loose documents and accounts. 1. Loose documents include blank, generic papers such as mortgage and financial documents and rules and regulations for conduct of lodges as well as documents specific to individual lodges and the Grand Lodge. 2. Bound volumes include minutes of meetings of lodges from 1896 -2001, members’ registers (handwritten) of various lodges from 1865-1993, National Health Insurance Register 1939, and documents of the Grand Lodge 1896-2006.; Document; Manuscripts Collection; Donated by Grand Secretary Graham J. in December 2006RG03-09-009; Upper Hawthorn: conservation study of the area surrounding Burwood, Glenferrie and Auburn Roads; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; A report that identifies and evaluates buildings, streetscapes and areas of historic or architectural interest within approximate area bounded by Oxley Road, Auburn Road, Burwood Road and Glenferrie Road up to Barkers Road. The report includes recommendations and guidelines for conservation and enhancement of identified areas and buildings, along with specific recommendations for buildings to be included on the Register of the National Estate and for protection under the Third Schedule of the Town and Country Planning Act. Section 1: Area history and building conservation: includes building dates and brief histories. Section 2: Precinct assessment, evaluation and conservation: outlines specific areas possessing cohesive visual qualities including streetscapes and contributive buildings. Recommended controls and policies are provided. The report includes facsimile images of photographs and maps. The appendices include an indexes of owners and architects, and a chronological index. Hawthorn has formed part of the City of Boroondara since 1994. These items are part of the Butler Collection, a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; 1983; Book; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023.