eHive Search « Previous 1 … 518 519 520 521 522 … 529 Next »A-32-E; Victorian Deaf and Dumb Institution, 1878. ; Nettleton, Charles, 1826–1902; View of the main building from the west. To the left of the building is a small glass house and in the foreground are fruit trees and a vegetable plot. Situated on the east side of St Kilda Road [583-597 St Kilda Road] to the south of Wesley College, the school was opened on 13 October 1866 by His Excellency, Sir J.H.T. Manners-Sutton, six months after the foundation stone was laid on 6 March 1866 by the governor, Sir Charles Darling. The north wing was added in 1871. The architects were Crouch and Wilson, the builder William Ireland. F.J. Rose was headmaster / superintendent 1860-1891. Sir William Stawell was president for over thirty years from 1861. In 1946 the school was renamed Victorian School for Deaf Children. [Refs: 'Utmost for the highest : the story of the Victorian School for Deaf Children', J. H. Burchett.] Victorian Heritage Register H2122 It is one of approximately 50 photographs from the set 'Views of Melbourne" by Charles Nettleton. Complete set in RHSV collection A-10-C to A-50-C. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Photograph; Images collection; Purchased from J. A. Hanley (bookseller), May 1918A-53-C.6; Manse at Scots Church, Campbellfield c. 1850-1864; View of the original bluestone manse which was built for Reverend Peter Gunn. He was the second minister, and was there from 1845 until his death in 1864, and is buried in the church grounds. The bluestone manse, designed by architect, Charles Laing, was built for Gunn in 1850. The church and manse stand on land donated by Neill Campbell, of the Campbellfield Estate, the original grantee. The architect was commissioned by the church committee in 1850 to prepare plans. In the beginning is served a primarily Scottish-born congregation. The burial ground in the churchyard was established in 1844. [Ref: A Study of Scot's Church, Campbellfield, and the Manor House, David Morgan., Victorian Heritage Database Report] Victorian Heritage Register H0127 One of a group of six photographs mounted on card. Four photographs are of the exterior of the church, one is of the exterior of the manse and one shows Rev. Peter Gunn standing at the entrance to the church. See A-53.001-C to A-53.006. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; c . 1925; Photograph; Images collection; Donated by Mrs Aeneas Gunn, March-June 1930P-452.001-Co; Henry Gyles Turner, banker and writer, 1831-1920, 1906; Alice Mills (Firm); One of three studio portraits. Henry Gyles Turner was born in 1831, Kensington, London, England to William Turner and Caroline Gyles. He sailed to Australia aboard the RMS 'Argo' from Southampton, England in 1854. In 1855, Henry married Helen Ramsay in South Yarra. They had no children. Henry was an Officer of the Bank of Australasia from 1854 to 1870; before becoming the General Manager of Commercial Bank of Australia from 1870 to 1901. He held many Public Office positions; for example: Chairman of the St Kilda Cemetery Trust, Vice President Historical Society of Victoria, President of Banks Rowing Clubs, Member Metropolitan Fire Brigade Board and President of Eclectic Association of Melbourne. Over the years, Henry G. Turner published many pamphlets and books; for example: 'A History of the Colony of Victoria', 1904; 'The Aims and Objects of a Literature Society', 1903. A full list of his positions and literary works can be found in his own handwriting within the RHSV datasheet 'Register of Early Colonists', dated 1917. Henry moved to Queensland for a few years before returning to Victoria where he passed away in 1920, in St. Kilda.; Photograph; Images collectionRG03-44-066; Heape Court Warehouse Precinct. Sites & Context; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Collection of photocopied images and building identification forms gathered together for a 1990 Historic Buildings Council hearing related to nineteenth century warehouses located in Heape Court, Melbourne. Includes information on comparable surviving brick or bluestone sites elsewhere in Melbourne and Carlton. The "Heape Court warehouses, dating from the early 1850s, are an important surviving examples of a nineteenth century commercial laneway precinct. It contains two rare examples of gold-rush period warehouses, the 1854 brick Pynsent's Second Store and Cooper's Blacksmith Shop at the rear of 361-5 Little Lonsdale Street, and the 1853 bluestone Pynsent's First Store at 303-305 Elizabeth Street constructed by the notable firm of James Lawrence & son. The laneway also contains the three-storey brick Cooper's Warehouse at the rear of 359 Little Lonsdale Street, designed in 1887 by the significant Melbourne architects Twentyman and Askew for the ironmongers and importers J. Cooper & Son. All three buildings and the laneway remain substantially original and have been in continuous use for commercial purposes for over 130 years. The precinct retains an intimate scale coupled with a consistent 19th century architectural character. Classified: 11/08/1990." [Source: Victorian Heritage Database - Victorian Heritage Register H0826] Thit items are part of the Butler Collection, a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material. ; c.1990; Document; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023.RG03-44-103-2; Streetscape vol.1 [City of Melbourne conservation study]; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; A compilation reference volume created from the streetscape sections of two of seven studies carried out for the Historic Buildings Preservation Council of Victoria in 1976. This volume is comprised of material from the Area 1 and Area 2 studies. Includes some maps and photocopies of photographs. Repeats some Area 2 content found in RG03-44-103-1. Includes loosely inserted pages. This volume is part of a larger project of seven studies commissioned by the Historic Buildings Preservation Council of Victoria [now Heritage Victoria] to document heritage buildings in central Melbourne. Each study was by a different heritage consultant or firm and aimed to provide the classifications sub-committee with relevant architectural and historical information to support registration of significant buildings. Area 1 study by John & Phyllis Murphy Area 2 study by Graeme Butler (working for Perrott Lyon Timlock Kesa and Associates) The Butler Collection is a large archive of conservation studies, research files, photographs and related reference material.; Book; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023RG03-51-001; Set of papers: Mooltan Street Travancore ; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Correspondence and papers related to planning issues and heritage protections for the suburb of Travancore, Melbourne. FOLDER 1: > 6 x items of correspondence related to the nomination of the Travancore Estate to be entered into the Register of the National Estate. Correspondents include: Flemington Association -- Australian Heritage Commission -- National Trust of Australia (Victoria) -- Graeme Butler Conservation Architect. > facsimile document "Travancore" with photographs of streetscapes (12pp) > facsimile excerpt from Alexander Henderson, "Henderson's Australian families: a genealogical and biographical record" (1941) re John Madden (1817-1902), (4pp) > facsimile, "Plan of subdivision of portion of Travancore Estate", 1918 (6pp) > facsimile plan, annotated: "Travancore - Proposed Conservation Area" FOLDER 2: items related to planning applications in Travancore: > facsimile, "Resident planning victory in Travancore", The Melbourne Times, 27 June 1979, p7 > Helen Martindale, "Submission to the City of Melbourne Commissioner's Access Time, 29 September, 1982, with reference to Permit Application CM5723" re 76 Mooltan Street Travancore. (6pp) > Graeme Butler, report "109-11 Mooltan Street" > 7 x correspondence regarding planning applications the City of Melbourne for Mooltan Street Travancore - CM5036 and CM5723 Since 1994, the suburb of Travancore has fallen within the City of Moonee Valley local government area. At the time of creation of these papers, Travancore fell within the City of Melbourne as part of the Flemington region. The Butler Collection is a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material. ; c.1982-1986; Document; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023S-76.2; Walhalla devastated by a fire, November 1888 ; The Walhalla Chronicle; A couple of men standing in the runs of the Walhalla Chronicle newspaper and printing office, the press and other printing equipment in ruins around them. A sign is pinned to a chimney indicating the the newspaper would be printed as usual and contact at Parkers Hotel. In the background smoke can be seen billowing from distant flue-stacks which may belong to the Long Tunnel Mining Co. Walhalla was almost totally destroyed by fire on the night of the 24th November 1888. The fire is believed to have originated in one of the back rooms of the Crawford's drapery establishment. Buildings and businesses destroyed included Messes. Harris and Buchanan's general store, Cowl's chemist's shop, Fielchenfield's drapery establishment, Middletcm's tailor's shop, the Long Tunnel Hotel, the Walhalla Chronicle newspaper and printing office, Jolly's tobacconist's and stationary premises, Mainland's jeweller's shop, the Mechanic's Institute,'the Bank of Victoria and the Bank of Australasia, Dunn's grocery store. Trick's mining office, the Empire Hotel, the Catholic chapel, Jolly's butcher's shop, Fleming's hair dressing premises and some private houses. The shire hall and the post office were damaged, but saved. [source : The Moe Register and Narracan Shire Advocate, Sat 1 Dec 1888, p.4] This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; 1888; Photograph; Images collectionGS-CS-18; Collins Street (south side) looking east from Swanston Street, Melbourne, c. 1864; A view of the south side of Collins Street looking east, taken from the opposite side of the intersection with Swanston Street. This image was reproduced in "The Argus" in March 1930 from a photograph held by the Yorick Club. The slide image was probably reproduced from the newspaper photograph. In the foreground is the Victoria Fountain which was officially turned on in August 1859. It was eighteen feet high and had six elegantly carved dolphins at its base. The fountain was in place for several years until traffic built up in the intersection and it had to be removed. A large crowd assembled to witness the inauguration of the fountain. A few years later, in 1867, a large crowd again assembled in this intersection to watch the Duke of Edinburgh lay the foundation stone of the Melbourne Town Hall. The same buildings can be seen in the background of GS-EM-67, an image taken at this event. (Also, Remembering Melbourne: 1850-1960, p. 166) On the southeast corner of Collins and Swanston streets, on the right of the image, stands Neave's Buildings, which was occupied by various businesses, including engravers and land agents, until it was demolished in 1885. One of these businesses was G Damman & Co (No. 62), tobacconists, which occupied this corner from 1854 to its demolition. (A City Lost and Found: Whelan the Wrecker's Melbourne by Robyn Annear) Other buildings seen are the Argus Hotel and Restaurant (Nos. 68, 70), and the Argus Newspaper Office (Nos. 74, 76). The street is empty except for a light-coloured horse and cart. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby probably showed this slide during his many lectures on old or early Melbourne, given during the 1930s. "When Melbourne Takes Rank as a City", was given on 12th February, 1948, at the Assembly Hall, Collins Street. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Glass slide; Images collectionGS-EV-37; Belfast Volunteer Rifle Company and spectators at parade, showing the presentation of a silver bugle by Mrs William Rutledge, 1860. ; Photograph that depicts a ceremonial event for the Port Fairy [Belfast] Volunteer Rifle Corps. The men in uniform are in two lines and Eliza Rutledge is addressing a rifleman in the forefront. She is standing on a platform with other women. There is an immense ground and a fence around the perimeter. The fence line and township are in the background. Within the grounds are a crowd of people viewing the ceremonial event. Text pasted above photograph : "Formed in 1855 - John Mason being Captain, W. H. Hawkins, Lieutenant, and John Scott drill instructor. When the Volunteer Corps of the Colony were disbanded in 1863, this company became portion [sic] of the Western Artillery Company. IN 1884 another alteration in the constitution of the Civilian Soldiers was made, and the Western Garrison Artillery was established, the second brigade being the Port Fairy Battery with Major Kell in command" A bugle was presented to the Belfast (the original name for the town now known as Port Fairy) Volunteer Rifle Corps by the ladies of Belfast in December 1860. The presentation took place in “Avery’s Paddock” (now Southcombe Park) and the event was photographed by Joseph Warrin Wilder and then converted as a woodcut for publication. The event depicts Mrs William Rutledge presenting the bugle to the Corps, assisted by Mrs William Hawkins. [Source : Port Fairy Historical Society website] William Rutledge was merchant, banker and settler who founded the founded the firm of William Rutledge & Co. in Port Fairy. A print of one of many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund.; Photograph; Images collection; Purchased from James Searle, Collins Street, January 1919GS-IT-74; Keith Anderson and his fiance Bon Hlliard; Gunn's Slides (Firm); Keith Anderson was a pioneer Australian airman who had been a friend and business associate of Charles Kingsford Smith. Anderson was to have been a crewman on the'Southern Cross' aircraft when Kingsford Smith and Charles Ulm flew from the United States to Australia in 1928 but he was dismissed before the flight. He subsequently sued Kingsford Smith for breach of promise. Kingsford Smith paid Anderson 1000 pounds which he used to buy a Westland Widgeon light aircraft which he christened 'Kookaburra'. In 1929 Kingsford Smith, with a crew of three, left Richmond in NSW in the 'Southern Cross', on a round-the-world flight. They encountered bad weather, became lost, and made a forced landing in the Kimberley area of Western Australia. Radio problems meant that they could not communicate with the outside world. Various search efforts began. Keith Anderson set off in 'Kookaburra' accompanied by Bob Hitchcock. Their aircraft had an unreliable engine and they were ill-equipped with no tools and very little food and water. Engine problems forced them down in the Tanami Desert. They fixed their engine but with no tools they were unable to clear a take-off run in the surrounding scrub. The 'Kookaburra' was eventually found by a search aircraft but by that time Anderson and Hitchcock were dead. Anderson wrote a partial diary of their last days on a scrap of fabric from the covering of the aircraft's tail. There was an outcry over the whole affair, with much public sympathy for Anderson and Hitchcock, their family and friends, particularly for Anderson's fiance, Bon Hilliard. There were allegations that the forced landing of the 'Southern Cross' was a publicity stunt. A Royal Commission exonerated Kingsford Smith but his reputation was permanently damaged. One of the many slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Glass slide; Images collectionGS-PW-03; Montage of images of pioneer New Zealand aviator Jean Batten; Jean Batten, a New Zealander, became famous as a pilot in the 1930s with a number of record-breaking flights. This image shows a montage of pictures of Jean after several of her flights. The man beside her in the lowest picture is her father, Fred Batten. Jean was born in Rotorua in 1909. In 1929, after being taken on a flight in Charles Kingsford-Smith’s ‘Southern Cross’, she decided she wanted to become a pilot. She and her mother moved to England in 1929 and Jean joined the London Aeroplane Club. She gained her pilot’s licence and with financial help from friends she purchased a Gipsy Moth light aircraft. With this she hoped to fly solo to Australia and to beat the record set by Amy Johnson in 1930 for a solo flight by a woman. Jean’s first two attempts were unsuccessful but finally in May 1934 she reached Sydney, beating Amy’s record by more than four days. She took her Moth to New Zealand by sea (it had insufficient range to cross the Tasman) and undertook a celebratory six-week tour of New Zealand. Returning to England, Jean purchased a new aircraft, a Percival Gull Six, and in that she made more record flights, including from England to Brazil in 1935 and England to New Zealand in 1936. She received numerous awards and trophies. Jean spent World War 2 in fund-raising activities but after the war became something of a recluse. She moved around with her mother until the latter’s death in 1965. Jean was in Spain and in 1982 she died, alone, in Majorca from complications following a dog bite. She was unknown in Majorca and was buried in a pauper’s grave. Her family did not learn of her death until 1987. One of the many slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a> ; c. 1934; Glass slide; Images collectionGS-TM-19; Son and wife of Skene Craig : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; Colourised photograph of the headstone placed over the remains of the wife of Skene Craig, Mary, and his son, Frederick William. Selby writes in his "Memorial History of Melbourne" that, "Garryowen tells us that John Smith, a shepherd, was the first interred in the Old Cemetery, and that the second was Frederick William, the son of Skene Craig." (p.5) The image shows that the stone has leaned backwards in its grassy bed over the years. The stone has a Gothic pointed top and indented sides. The inset text panel has a wave pattern at the top which encloses a carving of a rose with stem, leaves and hip. The inscription reads: In Memory of Frederick William Son of SKENE CRAIG MERCHANT Melbourne Died March 1837 Aged 18 Months. Also Mary wife of the said SKENE CRAIG Died 20th November 1852, Aged 40 Years In his book Selby tells us that, "Craig came over with Lonsdale as a contractor to the Commissariat, and while not properly a civil servant, yet he derived an income from the service... [Skene ran the Post Office out of] his house in Collins Street, which is situated where the Rialto is today... Mr. Craig gave the letters out in his store... In the early fifties he carried on the whole of the Government contract for provisioning the goals, police hospitals and kindred institutions." (p. 86) Skene Craig returned to England and was buried in Cornwell in 1879. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collection