eHive Search « Previous 1 … 520 521 522 523 524 … 529 Next »GS-TM-21; William Pascoe Crook : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; Colourised photograph of the hardwood memorial placed over the remains of the Reverend William Pascoe Crook, missionary. The image shows the upright, weathered, wooden marker surrounded by grass. The marker was fashioned from a slab cut from a gum tree. The top has been cropped in the image but, as seen in similar images, it has a triangular top, decorated with a sundial motif, and quarter-circular shoulders, decorated with fleur-de-lys. The inscription reads: In Memory (in Gothic script) Of the REVd. WILLIAM PASCOE CROOK A Zealous and Devoted Missionary. In The Marquesas & SOCIETY ISLANDS A Faithful Preacher of the Gospels In N. S. Wales. Born in Devonshire, Engld. On the 29th April 1775. Died at Melbourne on THE 14th JUNE 1846. He was one of the first missionaries who left England on the ship Duff, in the year 1796. -unreadable verses- According to Selby, influenced by the death of Captain Cook "by the natives", Crook aged 21, enlisted in the first cohort of missionaries to Polynesia, commissioned by the newly formed London Missionary Society. Most of the missionaries were set down at Tahiti, but Crook and a comrade, who soon deserted, were left at the Marquesas. Crook returned to England after a year during which he learnt the language of the islands. He sailed to Australia in 1803, and after laying the foundation of the Congregational Church in Sydney, he travelled to Tahiti and, with three others, translated the first Polynesian Bible. He spent eighteen years in Polynesia before settling in Melbourne. (pp. 48, 50) This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-TM-26; Lewis Hart : Old Melbourne Cemetery, Jewish section, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; Photograph of a large chest tomb with paneled sides and a horizontal stone with the inscription as the cover. The corners of the chest are decorated with rectangular inserts. There is another smaller chest tomb to the left of Hart monument, with a similar inscribed top. Both stones have Hebrew and English writing. Selby tells us that, "Asher Hyman Hart applied for land in the Old Cemetery, and an acre was granted to the Jews. By a strange fatality, Lewis Hart (Asher Hymen Hart's brother) was the first interred... Lewis Hart was a clothier." (pp. 174-5, OPMHoM) The inscription reads: (431 in Selby's grave index p. 399 OPMHoM) 7 lines of Hebrew In Memory Of LEWIS HART Who Died On August 14th 5603-1843 Aged 40 Years The First Jewish Interment In This Cemetery (carved along bottom edge) According the newspaper reports under the heading of "Awfully Sudden Death" we learn that, "Mr. Lewis Hart, shopkeeper, at the corner of Queen and Collins streets, whilst walking in front of his establishment at about half past 9 o'clock on Monday morning, suddenly dropped down, and melancholy to relate before medical assistance could be procured, the vital spark had fled." The other chest tomb, according to Selby's plan of the cemetery and his index (430), is named for Lewis Hart, son of Edward and Isabella Hart, who died on the 5th January, A.M. 5609, 1849, aged 18 months. (p. 399, OPMHoM) From newspaper articles it can be deduced that Edward Hart, the father of baby Lewis Hart, was Lewis Hart's brither. These two burials were among the few that remained in the Jewish section after the first market expansion in 1877. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby numbered this slide #15. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-TM-29; Dr. Edmund Hobson and family : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; Colourised photograph of a tall Gothic stone structure topped with an urn, mounted on a stepped square pedestal. Within the structure are two tablets leaning backwards towards each other, one for the doctor's details, the other for his family. In the background are more monuments and trees. Selby describes this memorial, erected by public subscription, as "a thing of Gothic beauty... one of the most striking works of art in the Old Cemetery." Dr. Edmund Charles Hobson, a natural scientist, was the nephew of Captain Hobson, the first Governor of New South Wales. Dr. Hobson helped found the Melbourne Hospital movement, and was appointed chief-of-staff, but died before he could take up the position. He passed away after a short illness, at his residence, Bona-vista, in South Yarra. (pp. 194-5, OPMHoM) The inscriptions read: (75 in Selby's grave index p. 377, OPMHoM) This monument, in memory of Edmund Hobson, M.D., born at Parramatta, August 1814, died at Melbourne 4th March, 1848, has been erected by public subscription in honour of a distinguished fellow colonist, whose pre-eminence in his profession, and whose skill and attention were never solicited by the poor or distressed in vain. He united with rare medical and other attainments dispositions and virtues which endeared him as a man and a Christian to his friends. He died universally regretted in the 34th year of his age. The other tablet: John Edmund Hobson, accidently drowned in the Yarra, 1870, aged 30; Edward Grant Hobson, 1860, aged 17; Amy Elizabeth Hobson, 1866, aged 21; Sons and daughters of Edmund Hobson, M.D. Margaret Hobson died 17th July, 1894, aged 84 years. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby numbered this slide #52. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-TM-31; Jewish Graves : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; Colourised photograph of an area of the cemetery that was occupied by graves of the Jewish community. Selby tells us that in "the Jewish Ground there were sixty bodies, but only nineteen names were on the tombs. The other memorials were either destroyed or never erected." (p.399, OPMHoM) In the foreground, in a swath of long grass, are two upright tombstones surrounded by railings. The stone on the right, with its inscription written first in Hebrew and then in English, belongs to Samuel Barnet who died, according to Selby's records, 2nd September, 5613 [1853], aged 40 years. The grave to the left, according to Selby's plan of the cemetery, belongs to Cecelia Sarah Cohen. Another photograph in the collection (AL045-0077) is a close-up of the inscription which includes lines of Hebrew. It reads: Here Lieth The Mortal remains Of CECELIA SARAH The Beloved Wife Of SIMEON COHEN And Daughter Of FRANCES and LEWIS WOOLF (Of Liverpool) Who Departed This Life Oct 11th 5614 [1853] On Board The Great Britain Steamer At Sea And Interred On The 17th inst. Aged 19 Years Behind these graves is a row of horizontal stones, one surrounded by a railing. Again with reference to Selby's plan of the cemetery, this is probably the burial site of Edward Hart who died 18th March, 5614 [1853], aged 36 years. These horizontal stones lie in front of the cemetery fence that runs along Peel Street. Buildings on the other side of Peel Street can be seen in the background of the image. The left side of the photograph shows gravel paths and trees. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-TM-33; John Charles King and family : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; Photograph of a simple, Gothic pointed top, upright tombstone marking the burial place of John Charles King, town clerk and politician, his parents, sister and daughter. The stone sits on a small plinth and is enclosed by a railing with a quatrefoil design. The inscription reads: (40 in Selby's grave index p. 390, OPMHoM) SACRED (Gothic Script) In Memory Of HENRY KING Who Died 30th October, 1840 Aged 47 Years -------- Of His Daughter MARY KING Who Died 3rd May, 1842 Aged 26 Years -------- And Of His Wife MARTHA JANE KING Who Died 11th August, 1860 Aged 70 Years -------- And Of His Son JOHN CHARLES KING Who Died 26th January, 1870 Aged 52 Years -------- Also Of ANNIE JANE HADDON Daughter of the Above and Wife of FREDERICK WILLIAM HADDON Who Died 31st December, 1877 Aged 37 years According to Selby, John Charles King died on board the "Southern Cross" four years after he ruptured a blood vessel putting him in bad health. The funeral procession moved from his residence at the "Argus" office, and he was buried in the south-eastern corner of the Old Cemetery, and around the grave "stood the representative men of Melbourne." (p. 410, OPMHoM) John Charles King, born in County Down, Ireland, first sailed to Sydney in 1838. Hearing good things about Port Phillip, he sailed back to Ireland, married, and returned to Australia in 1841 with his wife, parents and other family members, setting up business in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. He was appointed the first town clerk in 1842. (Australian Dictionary of Biography) This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby numbered this slide #57. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-TM-39; Joseph Raleigh : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; A photograph of an imposing stone monument marking the remains of Joseph Raleigh, merchant, and his wife Priscilla. The monument comprises of a chest tomb in the shape of an elegant lidded casket which is mounted on six balls, which then stand on large rectangular plinth. Graffiti has been scratched or chalked onto the plinth. In the background can be seen the cemetery fence and, according to Selby's plan of the cemetery, buildings on the other side of Franklin Street. Currie & Richards were iron merchants and their store yard can be seen in the background. The inscription reads: (80 in Selby's grave index, p. 378, OPMHoM) Here Lie The Remains Of JOSEPH RALEIGH Died November 26th 1852 Aged 49 Years According to Selby the other side of the casket reads: Priscilla, wife of John Raleigh 7th March, 1846, aged 32 "Thou art gone to the grave, but we will not deplore thee, For God was thy ransom, thy guardian and guide; He gave thee, He took thee, and He will restore thee, And death has no sting for the Saviour has died." Selby tells us that, "At Raleigh's burial were nearly all the tradesmen and leading merchants in Melbourne. His body was brought from his residence at Moonee Ponds." Priscilla died at her daughters' residence in Spencer Street. Raleigh was a store owner and shipping agent. His name appears numerous times in the newspapers; in advertisements promoting shipping lines including, telling "shippers of gold" to take the "Sydney direct" route; and when his store at Sutton Grange, near Mount Alexander, and his warehouse on the wharf are robbed. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-TM-41; Elizabeth Stevens : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; A photograph of a broken, fallen stone with a triangular top, which lies over the remains of Elizabeth Stevens. Two small roundels containing a four petaled flower are carved on either side at the top of the stone. There is a low edging or kerb to the grave seen to the right of the image, and long grass takes over in the background. Selby tells us the stone is near grave #165, a blank stone, in the index. Both graves are located in the south-east corner of the Episcopalian section. Elizabeth's inscription tells us that she was the wife of George T. Stevens, a butcher, residing at Batman's Swamp. It also tells us that she came from Leddington, Rutlandshire, but information about the grave in Selby's book says that she came from Seddington. Neither place existed in Rutlandshire in the 1800s, but a Lyddington does. The inscription reads: (438, nr. 165, in Selby's grave index, p. 383, OPMHoM) SACRED (Gothic Script) To the Memory of ELIZABETH Wife of GEORGE T. STEVENS Butcher. Batmans Swamp. Melbourne who died 26th Decr 1852 Aged 51 Years (Gothic script) Native of Leddington, Rutlandshire ------- I shall go to her, but she shall not return to me. 2 Saml 12th & 23ve vse George Thomas Stevens was issued with a slaughtering license in Melbourne, January 1850. He was in business with John Dickins. George remarried in 1854 to Anne Rankin. In March 1858, Mrs Anne Stevens, widow of Mr George Thomas Stevens, deceased June 1855, aged 44, was involved in a court case concerning one of her deceased husband's paddocks situated in Flemington Swamp and used as a slaughter yard. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. The date 1918 is written on the border of the slide. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionLIB 011081; Acclimatisation Society; Bound volume containing duplicate copies of the following: Rules of the Acclimatisation Society of New South Wales, 1862. Joseph Cook & Co., Printers, 370 George Street. The acclimatisation of harmless, useful, interesting and ornamental animals and plants : being a paper read before the Philosophical Society, Adelaide, South Australia on May 13th, 1862 by George William Francis. Adelaide, Register and Observer General Printing Office, 1862. Annual report of the Acclimatisation Society of New South Wales, 1861. Sydney. Joseph Cook & Co., 370 George Street, 1862 Handleiding tot de kunstmatige vermenigvuldiging van visschen [Guide to the artificial multiplication of fishes], 's-Gravenhage : De Erven Doorman, 1853. Print : Brig Jane and Cutter Beaufoy in Indian Cove, Terra del Fuego, drawn by A. Masson from a sketch by Cap Weddell. Published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1825. I. Clark, sculp. Acclimatisation : its eminent adaption to Australia. A lecture delivered in Sydney by Dr., George Bennett. Melbourne, Wm. Goodhugh & Co., Printers, 48 Flinders Lane east, 1862 Rules and objects of the Acclimatisation Society with the report adopted at the first general meeting of members and a list of the officers, members and subscribers to the society. Melbourne, Wm. Goodhugh & Co., Printers, 48 Flinders Lane east, 1861. Report of the provisional committee to the members of the Acclimatisation Society of Victoria, 7th August [includes list of birds released and localities] List of the officers [members and subscribers] of the Acclimatisation Society The Alpaca : its introduction into Australia and the probabilities of its acclimatisation there : a paper read before the Society of Arts, London by George Ledger. Melbourne, Mason & Firth, printers, 16 Elisabeth Street, 1861. The vineyards and orchards of South Australia (First series), by Ebenezer Ward, being a series of articles written expressly for the 'South Australian Advertiser' and 'Weekly Chronicle'. 1862 [includes publishers advertising] ; Book; Library - Rare booksMS 000609 (Box 061-5); John F. Mann letter to Mr Larnach, 1886; Mann, John Frederick, 1819-1907; Letter dated 20th March, 1886 and signed by John F. Mann of Neutral Bay to Mr. Gordon G. Larnach, member of the Victorian Council of the Geographical Society of Australasia. Mann's letter is in response to Mr Larnach's written request for information about the papers of Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell (1792-1855). Mann had worked in the Surveyor-Generals Department under Thomas Mitchell from 1848, after arrival in Sydney in 1842 at the age of 22. Mitchell was also previously John Mann's father-in-law, as Mann had married Mitchell's daughter Camilla in 1857. John Mann thanks Mr Larnach for sending him some historical papers, written by Larnach himself, about firstly John Batman and secondly about the English-born Australian landscape painter and artist, Conrad Martens, the latter whom Mann said he knew well. Mann tells Mr Larnach that after making inquiries he has learned that Mitchell's maps were returned to England after his death. However Mann has copies of some of Mitchell's plans and sketches (lithographs) which he is sending to Larnach, including ones of old Newcastle and also of Western Victoria. John Mann also goes on to describe two books he has been recently loaned of a historical nature. Firstly a large old book of Voyages to New South Wales which described the original settlement at Botany Bay. This book Mann praises highly and describes in detail. The second book was Cobletts Annual Register for the years 1802-1803, which he has found lacking of interest. Letter includes pen drawings made by Mann of tall ships in Botany Bay Harbour and two people in a rowboat that Mann has copied from the first book of voyages that Mann has judged as so valuable. The letter has been transcribed in full and is in the file. ; Document; Manuscripts CollectionRG03-44-101; Set of papers: heritage consultant administration and site files, City of Melbourne; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Set of papers accumulated by conservation architect Graeme Butler while working as a consultant heritage advisor for the City of Melbourne, in c.1990-1992. The set includes correspondence as well as heritage advice reports for specific properties. FOLDER 1: > 5 x items of administration correspondence: February 1992 - August 1992, regarding appointment to heritage consultancy for the Development Approvals branch , then subsequent department budget reductions and reduction in use of consultants by the department of City Planning and Development, City of Melbourne. > Project Brief for the promotion of a key retail centre outside the Central Activities District: Errol Street, North and West Melbourne, July 1990. > "Melbourne City - buildings on the H.B.C. Register, 20.09.1991", (typed list) > Planning and Design Heritage Topic Group; "The Image of Heritage" draft topic paper, c.1991. (fax original) > Untitled document, sent by Kaye Oddie to Graeme Butler, 13.06.1991, [Melbourne Residential 1R2 Zone], related to Melbourne City Council's North and West Melbourne review. (fax original) > List, Alleys and lanes (Melbourne) > List, Melbourne Central Activities Study sources, for sites pre-1917. FOLDER 2: 9 x files/correspondence related to planning issues at individual properties within the City of Melbourne, 1989-1991: >> 105 McConnell Street, Kensington >> 28 Mangalore Street, Ascot Vale (Travancore) >> 68 Curzon Street, North Melbourne >> 505 Dryburgh Street, North Melbourne >> Corner Rosslyn & William Streets, West Melbourne >> Lonsdale Street pedestrian bridge, Myer to Melbourne Central Shopping Centre. >> Latrobe & King Street Centre, 347-349 King Street, Langdon Buildings >> Princess Mary Club, 118-122 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne >> 201 Victoria Street, West Melbourne This item are part of the Butler Collection, a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; 1989-1992; Document; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023.GS-BCS-15; Elevated view across Carpentaria Place (later Gordon Reserve), Eight Hour Day Monument to Geological Museum, Macarthur Street, Government Printing Office and Treasury Building, Spring Street, Melbourne, c. 1910; T.W. Cameron (Firm); This is a colourised photograph probably taken from an upper level of the Grand Hotel (later Windsor Hotel) on Spring Street, a tower of which casts a shadow in the foreground. To the left, four Hansom cabs wait near the cabbies' shelter in Carpentaria Place. The small triangle of land in the middle foreground, bounded by Spring and Macarthur streets, was detached from the grounds around Parliament House in 1863 and named Carpentaria Place. The Stanford Fountain, built by William Stanford (1839-1880), was placed here in 1870, and is seen in the middle of the triangle circled by flowerbeds and paths. The statue of General Charles Gordon, killed at Khartoum, Sudan, in 1885, was erected in 1889 at the apex of the triangle where Macarthur and Spring streets meet, and is circled by bollards and a link fence. In the middle foreground, in front of the fountain, is the Eight Hour Day Monument, placed here in 1903 and relocated to the corner of Russell and Victoria streets in 1923. The Adam Lindsay Gordon Memorial was placed on the site vacated by the relocated monument in 1932. A large Morton Bay Fig, to the left of the fountain, is what remains after other exotic plantings including weeping willows and conifers were removed around 1900. Carpentaria Place was renamed the Gordon Reserve in the 1961. Two cable trams can be seen running along Macarthur Street behind the triangle. The large white double-storey, grey roofed, Renaissance revival-style building, on the left, is the Geological Museum. It was built in 1909, architect J.J. Clark (1838-1915), and demolished in 1965 when government buildings were constructed. The large yellow four-storey buildings behind the Geological Museum are the Government Printing Office completed in 1856. The red brick chimney might be associated with the printing office. Another J.J. Clark design is the Old Treasury Building to the right of the photograph, said to be one of Australia's finest Renaissance Revival buildings. Behind the Treasury Building, in the background, is the suburb of Jolimont. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; 1910; Photograph; Images collectionGS-BCS-48; An imagined view of Bourke Street, Melbourne, looking east from Queen Street (shows Parliament House with dome), c. 1885; Cooper & Co (firm); This drawn image depicts an imagined view looking east along Bourke Street from Queen Street, towards Parliament House. It is "imagined" for a few reasons, one being that the impressive dome which sits atop the Parliament building in the background was never built, due to the economic depression of the 1890s. This image is reproduced from "Historical Sketch of Victoria" by James Smith, which was part of a larger publication, "Picturesque Atlas of Australasia", edited by Andrew Garran and first published in 1886. This original work contained over seven hundred illustrations, engraved on wood and steel by the best engravers available in Australia and the United States. The image is dominated by the General Post Office building, located on the north-east corner of Bourke and Elizabeth streets, with its ornate clocktower. The engraver must have been working from architectural plans because the addition of the third storey and tower wasn't completed until 1887, after publication. The building in the left corner is Griffin's Farmers' Club Hotel. The foreground shows a wide and busy Bourke Street, as it rises steeply towards Queen Street, with cable trams, horse-drawn vehicles and crowds of pedestrians and passengers receding into the distance. The large ecclesiastic style building, standing above the city to the right of Parliament House, is St Patrick's Cathedral before its spires were added. It is actually located behind Parliament house and would not be seen from this view, but the artist has included it in the picture. There is a snippet of a quote in the top right-hand corner of the slide. This is taken from the text of "Historical Sketch of Victoria" and partly describes the lawyers who inhabit Chancery Lane, the extension west of Little Collins Street. The lawyers, "... are addicted - owing to the nature of their occupation and their daily familiarity with the seamy side of human nature - to rather pessimistic views of mankind in general...". This image was reproduced on linen in the 1960s by John Rodriguez, who also reproduced a drawing of Collins Street from the same publication (GS-BCS-74). One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Photograph; Images collection