eHive Search « Previous 1 … 521 522 523 524 525 … 529 Next »RG03-44-101; Set of papers: heritage consultant administration and site files, City of Melbourne; Butler, Graeme, 1947-; Set of papers accumulated by conservation architect Graeme Butler while working as a consultant heritage advisor for the City of Melbourne, in c.1990-1992. The set includes correspondence as well as heritage advice reports for specific properties. FOLDER 1: > 5 x items of administration correspondence: February 1992 - August 1992, regarding appointment to heritage consultancy for the Development Approvals branch , then subsequent department budget reductions and reduction in use of consultants by the department of City Planning and Development, City of Melbourne. > Project Brief for the promotion of a key retail centre outside the Central Activities District: Errol Street, North and West Melbourne, July 1990. > "Melbourne City - buildings on the H.B.C. Register, 20.09.1991", (typed list) > Planning and Design Heritage Topic Group; "The Image of Heritage" draft topic paper, c.1991. (fax original) > Untitled document, sent by Kaye Oddie to Graeme Butler, 13.06.1991, [Melbourne Residential 1R2 Zone], related to Melbourne City Council's North and West Melbourne review. (fax original) > List, Alleys and lanes (Melbourne) > List, Melbourne Central Activities Study sources, for sites pre-1917. FOLDER 2: 9 x files/correspondence related to planning issues at individual properties within the City of Melbourne, 1989-1991: >> 105 McConnell Street, Kensington >> 28 Mangalore Street, Ascot Vale (Travancore) >> 68 Curzon Street, North Melbourne >> 505 Dryburgh Street, North Melbourne >> Corner Rosslyn & William Streets, West Melbourne >> Lonsdale Street pedestrian bridge, Myer to Melbourne Central Shopping Centre. >> Latrobe & King Street Centre, 347-349 King Street, Langdon Buildings >> Princess Mary Club, 118-122 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne >> 201 Victoria Street, West Melbourne This item are part of the Butler Collection, a large archive of conservation studies, photographs and related reference material.; 1989-1992; Document; Butler Collection; Donated by Graeme Butler, 2023.GS-BCS-15; Elevated view across Carpentaria Place (later Gordon Reserve), Eight Hour Day Monument to Geological Museum, Macarthur Street, Government Printing Office and Treasury Building, Spring Street, Melbourne, c. 1910; T.W. Cameron (Firm); This is a colourised photograph probably taken from an upper level of the Grand Hotel (later Windsor Hotel) on Spring Street, a tower of which casts a shadow in the foreground. To the left, four Hansom cabs wait near the cabbies' shelter in Carpentaria Place. The small triangle of land in the middle foreground, bounded by Spring and Macarthur streets, was detached from the grounds around Parliament House in 1863 and named Carpentaria Place. The Stanford Fountain, built by William Stanford (1839-1880), was placed here in 1870, and is seen in the middle of the triangle circled by flowerbeds and paths. The statue of General Charles Gordon, killed at Khartoum, Sudan, in 1885, was erected in 1889 at the apex of the triangle where Macarthur and Spring streets meet, and is circled by bollards and a link fence. In the middle foreground, in front of the fountain, is the Eight Hour Day Monument, placed here in 1903 and relocated to the corner of Russell and Victoria streets in 1923. The Adam Lindsay Gordon Memorial was placed on the site vacated by the relocated monument in 1932. A large Morton Bay Fig, to the left of the fountain, is what remains after other exotic plantings including weeping willows and conifers were removed around 1900. Carpentaria Place was renamed the Gordon Reserve in the 1961. Two cable trams can be seen running along Macarthur Street behind the triangle. The large white double-storey, grey roofed, Renaissance revival-style building, on the left, is the Geological Museum. It was built in 1909, architect J.J. Clark (1838-1915), and demolished in 1965 when government buildings were constructed. The large yellow four-storey buildings behind the Geological Museum are the Government Printing Office completed in 1856. The red brick chimney might be associated with the printing office. Another J.J. Clark design is the Old Treasury Building to the right of the photograph, said to be one of Australia's finest Renaissance Revival buildings. Behind the Treasury Building, in the background, is the suburb of Jolimont. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; 1910; Photograph; Images collectionGS-BCS-48; An imagined view of Bourke Street, Melbourne, looking east from Queen Street (shows Parliament House with dome), c. 1885; Cooper & Co (firm); This drawn image depicts an imagined view looking east along Bourke Street from Queen Street, towards Parliament House. It is "imagined" for a few reasons, one being that the impressive dome which sits atop the Parliament building in the background was never built, due to the economic depression of the 1890s. This image is reproduced from "Historical Sketch of Victoria" by James Smith, which was part of a larger publication, "Picturesque Atlas of Australasia", edited by Andrew Garran and first published in 1886. This original work contained over seven hundred illustrations, engraved on wood and steel by the best engravers available in Australia and the United States. The image is dominated by the General Post Office building, located on the north-east corner of Bourke and Elizabeth streets, with its ornate clocktower. The engraver must have been working from architectural plans because the addition of the third storey and tower wasn't completed until 1887, after publication. The building in the left corner is Griffin's Farmers' Club Hotel. The foreground shows a wide and busy Bourke Street, as it rises steeply towards Queen Street, with cable trams, horse-drawn vehicles and crowds of pedestrians and passengers receding into the distance. The large ecclesiastic style building, standing above the city to the right of Parliament House, is St Patrick's Cathedral before its spires were added. It is actually located behind Parliament house and would not be seen from this view, but the artist has included it in the picture. There is a snippet of a quote in the top right-hand corner of the slide. This is taken from the text of "Historical Sketch of Victoria" and partly describes the lawyers who inhabit Chancery Lane, the extension west of Little Collins Street. The lawyers, "... are addicted - owing to the nature of their occupation and their daily familiarity with the seamy side of human nature - to rather pessimistic views of mankind in general...". This image was reproduced on linen in the 1960s by John Rodriguez, who also reproduced a drawing of Collins Street from the same publication (GS-BCS-74). One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-CS-04; Bourke Street (south side) from near Elizabeth Street, Melbourne; View looking east, from near Elizabeth Street, showing the businesses along the south side of Bourke Street. On the left of the image is a slight view of the north side of the street showing a large canvas advertising a haberdashery clearance sale. Next to this sign is a tall pole topped with sign that in earlier photographs (c. 1865) clearly advertised the "Cobb & Co Coach Office", which was at #35 Bourke St. The sign looks like it has been blacked out even though a branch of the business was still there. In the 1875 Sands & McDougal Directory, another Cobb & Co Office was located at #52 Bourke St. On the right-hand side of the image is a sign for Victoria Baths which was at #42 (c.1865-c.1875). Baths were built to stop people from bathing in the Yarra, which was getting very polluted and too dangerous to bathe in. To the left of this signage is what looks like the figure of an animal, which is advertising Wright's Bull & Mouth Hotel. These two businesses are seen more clearly in a drawing by Samuel Calvert, dated 1865, held in the La Trobe Collection. Other business names are difficult to read, but the Sands & McDougall Directory of 1875 tells us that the 2-storey building, third from the right at #56, is the Colosseum Hotel and Music Hall, proprietor, C. Wright. On the corner with Swanston Street, the building with the triangular parapet, is the Leviathan Clothing and Boot Company at #64. On the opposite corner of Swanston Street is the Royal Mail Hotel. Bourke Street continues up the hill to Parliament House at the top-left of the image. There are many horse-drawn vehicles in the street, including a row of four hansom cabs parked in the middle. Deep gutters run either side of the street with small metal or wooden bridges placed to facilitate accessibility for people and goods. A lady in a typical Victorian, as in the Queen, wide-skirted dress and bonnet, walks along the pavement in the lower-left corner. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby probably showed this slide during his many lectures on old or early Melbourne, given during the 1930s. "When Melbourne Takes Rank as a City", was given on 12th February, 1948, at the Assembly Hall, Collins Street. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; c. 1875; Glass slide; Images collectionGS-PW-06; Amy Johnson after her 1936 record flights between England and South Africa; In May 1936 Amy Johnson set records for the fastest flights from England to South Africa and back. This image shows Amy being welcomed at Croydon Airport on 7th May on her return from South Africa. The man standing immediately behind Amy's raised arm is James Mollison, another well-known pilot. He and Amy were married in 1932 and divorced in 1938. In 1930, Amy, a legal secretary originally from Hull in northern England, made history by becoming the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia. Born in 1903, Amy graduated from Sheffield University and worked as a legal secretary in London. She also took up flying and gained her pilot’s licence at the London Aeroplane Club. Amy decided that she wanted to fly to Australia and she set about preparing herself. She learnt about aero engines by working unpaid as a mechanic at the London Aeroplane Club in the mornings before her secretarial job and again in the evenings after work. She became the first woman to gain a British ground engineer’s licence in 1929. She also gained a navigation licence in 1930. She struggled to find sponsors for her Australian flight. Finally Lord Wakefield, head of Castrol, agreed to pay for petrol. Her father paid for her aircraft, a Gipsy Moth she christened Jason, and everything else she paid for herself. Amy left Croydon Aerodrome on 5th May 1930 and reached Karachi on 10th May, having broken Hinkler’s record time by two days. She continued across India and into Burma where Jason was damaged in a rough landing. Following repairs she flew on via Bangkok to Singapore, then on to Timor. On 24th May 1930 she crossed the Timor Sea to reach Darwin nineteen days after leaving Croydon. The biggest crowd ever seen in Darwin greeted her. Amy went on to rapturous welcomes around Australia. This was her only visit to this country but a connection to Australia remains. In Hull each year an award is given to recognise the bravery of a local child. The award is funded by money raised by the children of Sydney in recognition of Amy’s achievement. Amy Johnson was killed in 1941 while ferrying an RAF aircraft as part of the war effort. One of the many slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a> ; 1936; Glass slide; Images collectionGS-PW-31; Amy Johnson, first woman to fly solo from England to Australia in 1930; In 1930, Amy Johnson, a legal secretary originally from Hull in northern England, made history by becoming the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia. Amy Johnson was born in Kingston-upon-Hull in 1903. After graduating from Sheffield University she worked as a legal secretary in London. She also took up flying and gained her pilot’s licence at the London Aeroplane Club. Amy decided that she wanted to fly to Australia and she set about preparing herself. She learnt about aero engines by working unpaid as a mechanic at the London Aeroplane Club in the mornings before her secretarial job and again in the evenings after work. She became the first woman to gain a British ground engineer’s licence in 1929. She also gained a navigation licence in 1930. She struggled to find sponsors for her Australian flight. Finally Lord Wakefield, head of Castrol, agreed to pay for petrol. Her father paid for her aircraft, a Gipsy Moth she christened 'Jason', and everything else she paid for herself. Amy left Croydon Aerodrome on 5th May 1930 and reached Karachi on 10th May, having broken Bert Hinkler’s record time by two days. She continued across India and into Burma where 'Jason' was damaged in a rough landing. Following repairs she flew on via Bangkok to Singapore, then on to Timor. On 24th May 1930 she crossed the Timor Sea to reach Darwin nineteen days after leaving Croydon. The biggest crowd ever seen in Darwin greeted her. Amy went on to rapturous welcomes around Australia. This was her only visit to this country but a connection to Australia remains. In Hull each year an award is given to recognise the bravery of a local child. The award is funded by money raised by the children of Sydney in recognition of Amy’s achievement. Amy married James Mollison, another famous pilot, in July 1932 after a twelve week engagement. They were divorced in 1938 and Amy reverted to using her maiden name. Amy was killed in 1941 while ferrying an RAF aircraft as part of the war effort. One of the many slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a> ; c. 1931; Glass slide; Images collectionGS-TM-36; Lonsdale children and Smythe family : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; A photograph of a very overgrown and damaged railed grave. More tombs and trees are seen in the background. According to Selby, the grave had been wrecked by some vandals. Three long, inscribed, horizontal stones were inside the iron railing, the central stone having been broken into pieces. The stones had to be cleaned before they could be read. (119 in Selby's grave index, p. 380, OPMHoM) Stone 1: Sacred to the memory of Ellen Peveril, born 26th January, 1842, died 25th March, 1842; Ralph Peveril, born 27th September, 1847, died 23rd May, 1852. The much-loved children of William and Martha Lonsdale. "They will not return to us, but by Thy grace, Oh Lord, we hope to go to them." Stone 2: In memory of H. W. H. Smythe, born on 27th May, 1815, died 8th May, 1853; also of Allan Smythe, only son of Henry and Jessie Smythe, who died in infancy. Stone 3: Sacred to the memory of Allan Smythe, infant son of Henry and Jessie Smythe, died 3rd December, 1842; also to the memory of Jessie Smythe Baker, died 24th March, 1852, aged 12 months. William Lonsdale was a captain in the 4th (King's Own) regiment when he married Martha, on 6th April, 1835, at Port Macquarie. Martha was the daughter of Benjamin Smythe, a civil engineer at Launceston. The following year Lonsdale was made the first police magistrate at Port Phillip, and the family moved there. Henry William Smythe, Esq., married Jessie Allan, daughter of George Allan of Allan Vale, Launceston, on 19th February, 1841. After Henry's death, Jessie remarried Augustus F. Boyse in 1858, in Paris. Selby tells us that Henry was known as "Long Smythe" on the account of his being very tall. William Lonsdale died in London in 1864, survived by his wife and two sons. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby wrote 1918 on this slide. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-TM-37; Mrs Jane Montgomery Mackinnon : Old Melbourne Cemetery, c. 1920; Miller, Everard Studley, 1886-1956.; A front-on photograph of a decorated chest tomb, mounted on a plinth, which sits over the remains of Jane Montgomery Mackinnon, wife of Lauchlan Mackinnon who was the Member for Port Phillip of the Legislative Council of Sydney. The monument, described by Selby as "one of the finest works of art in the Cemetery", has finely carved architectural features and elaborate decorations including, acanthus and scrollwork feet, the pattern of which is repeated in the carving mounted on the top of the chest. The two inscription panels are placed on either side of a carved wreath, and an inverted flaming torch appears on both edges. The inscriptions read: Left: Erected By LAUCHLAN MACKINNON (written in very elaborate script) in most affectionate remembrance of his good and faithful wife JANE MONTGOMERY who died on the 18th June, 1849. in the 40th year of her age. Right: (216 in Selby's grave index, p. 385, OPMHoM) "She was characterised by good sense, sterling unbending principle, largeness and warmness of heart, tender sensibility, and deep toned piety" Jane was the sister of James Montgomery, solicitor, and died at Cumberland-place, Sydney. Selby tells us that Jane's "body was brought back from Sydney in the 'Shamrock' and placed here." A newspaper article states that "the severity of his domestic affliction" caused Lauchlan to resign his seat on the Council. He later remarried. Another of Selby's glass slides (GS-TM-59) is a colourised photograph of the tomb taken from the front-right. It is shown that the chest tomb is mounted on a high stone plinth, and that is is enclosed by an iron railing. A palm leaf and three stars are carved on the short side of the chest. Also, it appears that some decorations have been removed from the top of the monument in the time between when the two images were taken. This image is attributed to Everard Studley Miller who photographed many graves and tombstones in the Old Melbourne Cemetery (established in 1837) around 1920 as part of a project led by Isaac Selby to record and commemorate all aspects of Melbourne's second cemetery (the first being at Flagstaff Hill). The RHSV holds original glass negatives and albums of the photographs from this project. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria.</a>; Photograph; Images collectionABR-28.1; Pardon of convict William Cliffe, Hobart, 15 November 1847 ; Denison, Sir William Thomas; Pardon of convict William Cliffe, Hobart (TAS), 15 November 1847, by Sir William Thomas Denison, Lieutenant-General of Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) Inscribed on image centre: "VAN DIEMEN'S LAND, / No. 813 / To all to whom these presents shall come, I, SIR WILLIAM THOMAS DENISON, Knight, Captain in the Corps of Royal Engineers, Lieutenant-Governor of the Island of Van Diemen's Land and its Dependencies, send Greeting. / WHEREAS William Cliffe was tried at Rutland in the year 18 (blank space) and arrived in this Island in the year 1821 under sentence of Transportation for life AND WHEREAS Her Majesty hath been pleased to signify to me Her approval, through one of Her Principal Secretaries of State, of a Pardon being granted to the said William Cliffe upon condition he shall not during the said period for which the said sentence was pronounced return to or be found within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. NOW THEREFORE I the said SIR WILLIAM THOMAS DENISON, in pursuance of the instructions to me in that behalf given and sent by the Secretary of State, and of the Act of Parliament, intituled "An Act to amend the Law affecting transported Convicts with respect to Pardons and Tickets-of-Leave, by this instrument in writing under the Seal of the Colony of Van Diemen's Land, grant to the said William Cliffe a Pardon, upon the condition he shall not during the said period for which the said sentence was pronounced return to or be found within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland as aforesaid. / Signed by the Comptroller-General / REGISTER B. FOLIO 23 / In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my Hand, and caused the Seal of the Colony of Van Diemen's Land to be hereunto affixed, at Hobart Town in Van Diemen's Land, this fifteenth day of November in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and forty-seven. / W T Denison Lieutenant-Governor.; Photograph; Images collectionGS-BCS-24; Panoramic view of Melbourne, looking west from the General Post Office towards Law Courts, c. 1899; Cooper, Henry; This photograph has been taken from the third floor roof or clock tower of the General Post Office, which is located on south-east corner of Bourke and Elizabeth streets. The focal point of the photograph, on the middle horizon, is the large and imposing building and dome of the Supreme Court, which is located to the west on William Street, between Little Bourke Street and Lonsdale Street. A third level was added to the General Post Office in 1887. Another distinct architectural feature, to the left of the dome, is the watchtower of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade Station No 2, situated at 447 Little Bourke Street. Another feature, not quite so obvious, to the right of the dome, is the tower of the Italianate mansion, Rostella, owned by Sir T. N. Fitzgerald, surgeon, located in Lonsdale Street. This private house was demolished in 1970. Also seen are advertisements for businesses in Little Bourke Street, which runs across the middle of the photograph from the lower right to left of the dome. In the middle of the photograph is a sign for the bone dust manufacturing business of J. Cockbill, whose address was 407 Post Office Place, another name for this section of Little Bourke Street. "Dead horses and cattle removed" reads the sign. Opposite at 400 Lt Bourke St is the business of T. P. Power, Saddlers & Ironmonger. In the middle foreground is a stand-alone sign advertising Frank Vial & Sons, Leather Belt Factory. The Vial factory was to the north at the corner of Queen and A'Beckett streets. Just behind the Frank Vial sign is painted T. Warburton. Thomas Warburton had an ironmongery store in Warburton Lane off Lt Bourke St. Warburton Lane still exists today. Between the dome and the watchtower is a sign for Fallshaw Bros., Billiard Tables & Furniture, which was located at 191 Queen St and 437 Lt Bourke St. Between the dome and Rostella's tower is a sign, Jacobs Hart & Co, Tobacco Merchants, whose address was 225-231 Queen Street. According to the Sands & McDougall Directory for 1900 there are hotels at most of the corners along Little Bourke Street, but the only one visibly named in the photograph is the Racing Club Hotel, seen in the lower right. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby numbered the slide 117. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; 1899; Photograph; Images collectionGS-BCS-33; High Street, Prahran, looking east, c. 1890s -c. 1910; T.W. Cameron (Firm); This photograph of High Street, Prahran, has been taken from an elevated position, looking east. This image was most probably reproduced from "The History of Prahran, from its first settlement to a City" (1924) by J. B. Cooper, opposite page 108, with a caption dating it in the 1890s. However, around 1910, Maples furniture and piano warehouse was opened on the north-west corner of Chapel and High streets (not in the photograph). It was a large four-storey building with a corner tower adding another floor. It is possible that the photograph was taken from here, looking east, following High Street, seen from the centre foreground and disappearing into the horizon. Prahran, an inner suburb of Melbourne, became a popular shopping centre from the 1890s, which rivalled the CBD of Melbourne. There are various advertisements and shop signs in the photograph, one, "Dixon's O T", the blue and yellow sign in the middle left, also helps date the image. Dixon's O T was a very popular cordial made with chillis that was manufactured from 1905 and into the 1940s. The Sands & McDougall Directory of 1910 records John Dixon & Co, cordial manufacturers, at 193 High Street. At 181 High Street we find G. Bennett, signwriter, whose advertising sign is just below Dixon's. Above the Dixon sign, further east, a black and white sign reads Kirkwood's. Kirkwood Boot Company was located at 253 High Street. On the south side of High Street, on the right of the image, is a sign for Thomas M Donaldson & Co, general printers at 164 High Street. A few shops further east is a hard to read brown sign with yellow writing, but Sands & McDougall tells us that this is the premises of D Rosenberg, boot maker, at number 170. The large brown brick church, on the right of the street, in the middle of the image, is the Church of Christ, located between 222 and 236 High Street. On the premises is a Mrs Tucker who runs the Victorian Protestant Defence Association. The building dates from 1853 and still stands today. The grey building to the right of the church is the Church of Christ Sunday School at 59 Victoria Street. There are a number of horse-drawn vehicles in the image. The tree-filled horizon reflects the more residential neighbourhood of Armadale. One of the many glass slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. Selby gave a lecture on "Old Melbourne, Old Prahran and Toorak" at St. John's Parish Hall, Toorak, in October 1929. For more information about this image <a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank"> contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; Photograph; Images collectionGS-IT-75; Crew of Vickers Vimy aircraft, winner of 1919 England-Australa air race; Gunn's Slides (Firm); The crew of the Vickers Vimy aircraft which won the England-Australa air race in 1919. They are: Captain Ross Smith, Lieutenant Keith Smith, Sergeant W.H. Spiers and Sergeant J.M. Bennett. In 1919 the Australian Prime Minister, Billy Hughes was in England. He flew frequently between London and Paris for the peace talks and saw a great future for air transport. Also in 1919 there were many Australian airmen in England awaiting repatriation. Hughes decided to encourage aviation and to provide the chance for some of these airmen to fly home by offering a prize of £10,000 for the first Australians to fly to Australia. The five official entries included a Vickers Vimy crewed by Ross and Keith Smith, Shiers and Bennett. The only official entrant to reach Australia and win the prize was the Vimy piloted by Ross Smith. It carried the British registration markings G-EAOU, leading to the nickname ‘God ‘Elp All Of Us’, which also may have reflected the feelings of the crew at times during the race. The pilot was Captain Ross Smith from Adelaide who had a distinguished combat record with the Australian Flying Corps. As navigator, he had his elder brother Keith who had served as a flying instructor. Sergeant Bennett from St Kilda had served in the Middle East as had Sergeant Shiers from Semaphore in South Australia. The Vimy left Hounslow on 12th November 1919. They flew across France and Italy, struggling against bad weather and soggy airfields. They continued via Crete to Cairo, then on across Syria and Iraq to India, reaching Delhi on 25th November. They reached Akyab in Burma on 29th November. Their flight continued via Rangoon, Bangkok and Singora in Malaya. At Singora the tailskid was damaged in landing on the rough airfield and Bennett had to make a replacement. The next stop was Singapore and then across the Dutch East Indies to Sourabaya where the Vimy became bogged on landing. For take–off a runway of bamboo mats donated by local residents had to be laid. The final stop before the Timor Sea crossing was Atamboea in Timor, reached on 9th December. On 10th December the Vimy completed the final leg to Darwin, landing on the airfield at Fanny Bay at 3.40 pm to win the Race and the prize. One of the many slides purchased from retailers or specifically made for illustrated lectures given by Isaac Selby between c. 1930 and c. 1955 to raise money for the Old Pioneers Memorial Fund. This image is provided for research purposes and must not be reproduced without prior permission.<a href="https://www.historyvictoria.org.au" target="_blank">For a high resolution copy of this image, contact Royal Historical Society of Victoria</a>; 1919; Glass slide; Images collection