Alfred Felton started his fortune during the Australian gold rushes, selling ‘Felton’s Quinine Champagne’ to miners. Later, he partnered with Frederick Grimwade to found a successful pharmaceutical company, Felton Grimwade & Co., and built ‘the handsomest drug house in Australia’, a bluestone warehouse in Flinders Lane. Their empire moved into glass manufacture, and by the time of his death, Felton was a rich man. He bequeathed most of his wealth to the National Gallery of Victoria; the value of the works acquired has now reached more than $2 billion.
Flinders Lane: Recollections of Alfred Felton tells the story of this extraordinary benefactor. Illustrated with wood engravings by Helen Ogilvie, this new edition has a foreword by Sir Andrew Grimwade, great nephew of the author.
Russell Grimwade, benefactor and businessman, had a passion for science, appreciation of art and sense of obligation to preserve the past. He was a man of extraordinary diversity. Active in some of the largest and most enterprising business concerns in Australia, prominent in such bodies as the National Museum, the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, The Felton Bequests’ Committee, the Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science and the University of Melbourne, he also pursued hobbies such as woodwork, photography, golf club design, research into eucalypts and pioneered motoring in Australia.
In 1934 he donated Captain Cook’s cottage to the people of Victoria. He was appointed CBE in 1935 and knighted in 1950. The Miegunyah Press was established in 1967 through the vision and bequests of Sir Russell Grimwade and his wife Mab.
Publisher: The Miegunyah Press